Acer Palmatum repotted with root graft

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Just wanted to share a couple of pics of a Japanese maple I just repotted yesterday. I have had this tree for over 10 yrs now. I believe it was originally imported from Japan. At that time it had the trunk but needed branch development and refinement of the overall image.

The small trunk at the base is actually a root graft to the back of the tree using a 3 yr old sapling. It will eventually be cut off and keep just its roots. This year I plan on keep working on branch refinement particularly on the apex which I want to look tighter and rounder.

The dimensions of this tree are: 15" high (without pot) and 18" wide. The trunk is 4"+ and the nebari spans 8" across. I believe it is a standard Acer Palmatum.

IMG_6343.jpg

IMG_6346.jpg

IMG_6345.jpg

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
awesome tree and you've done great.... nice to see people root grafting when needed.... easy way to improve nebari ....

re: the pot.... the color of course is nice tho I would personally want something a little older in appearance... you can do that next time you repot with a little window etching cream... easy to do an gives a nice aged appearance to the pot.... of course time will also help age the pot...

I look forward to seeing this again in leaf.... beautiful tree :) :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your kind words! Much appreciated.

Ang3lfir3: Yes, no doubt that this tree is planted in a less than desirable pot. It is planted in a cheap chinese pot that looks ok with the tree but to your point I would like to use a much better pot eventually. Thank you for the pot aging tip... had no idea you could do this. I will definitely try it next time :)

I will follow up in a couple of weeks with pics of it in leaf.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ang3lfir3: Yes, no doubt that this tree is planted in a less than desirable pot. It is planted in a cheap chinese pot that looks ok with the tree but to your point I would like to use a much better pot eventually. Thank you for the pot aging tip... had no idea you could do this. I will definitely try it next time :)

Vic wrote an article on it that I did in a demo you can read here :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The overhead shot is breathtaking. Do you have any progression photos? You've done this tree proud.

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Really nice tree! I love how the movement of the trunk relates to the direction the base flares in (as seen in the first image).

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice maple and technique.

"Thank you for the pot aging tip... had no idea you could do this."

FWIW, I've tried this. I guess it depends on the pot to work:D. I used the etching solution used full strength on a rather cheap Chinese pot. The stuff only made the glaze nice and shiny, didn't etch it even a little, even after repeated treatments...

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice article, great idea! Does it in any way weaken the pot or make it more susceptible to spalling?
I honestly don't know ... I only suggest the technique on inexpensive pots that just need a helping hand...

I actually think I started a thread here with the full article and pictures etc..

Very nice maple and technique.

"Thank you for the pot aging tip... had no idea you could do this."

FWIW, I've tried this. I guess it depends on the pot to work:D. I used the etching solution used full strength on a rather cheap Chinese pot. The stuff only made the glaze nice and shiny, didn't etch it even a little, even after repeated treatments...
that's very weird .... haven't ever had that happen on the dozens of pots I did it with... maybe its dependent on the chemical too?? no idea....

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Insane!

Very nice tree sir.
I'm going to have to say that I really like the pot actually, spices it up.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Insane!

Very nice tree sir.
I'm going to have to say that I really like the pot actually, spices it up.

Thank you Ray! Yes I don't mind the pot so much for now but I'd like to get one of better quality possibly in cream or sky blue. For some reason I am partial to sky blue for maples but it's been tough finding the right one.

The overhead shot is breathtaking. Do you have any progression photos? You've done this tree proud.

Thank you Judy! Unfortunately I don't have progression photos but I do have some random pics of it from other years. I have to dig them up and post them :)

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Also thank you again to everyone else for their kind words!

raydomz

Shohin
Reaction score
Thank you Ray! Yes I don't mind the pot so much for now but I'd like to get one of better quality possibly in cream or sky blue. For some reason I am partial to sky blue for maples but it's been tough finding the right one.

I will pm you later. I'm working with a potter right now that does a lot of really nice glazes. creams, blues, shino..
I'll be in touch!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I was asked to post some older pics of this tree. The two pics below were taken some years ago. The first one about 6 years ago and the second 3 yrs ago. As you can see in the first pic, the trunk was already pretty well developed but the overall image needed more refinement and detail.

IMG_1383.jpg

006_6.jpg

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
And these pics were taken in Autumn of last year and the year before.

IMG_3909.jpg

IMG_3910.jpg

IMG_7557-1.jpg

IMG_7574.jpg

IMG_7582.jpg

In another couple of weeks I'll post some pics of the tree with its Spring foliage :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom