Acer Palmatum Seedling for a New Bonsai Enthusiast

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am new to bonsai and one of my first projects is an Acer Palmatum that I germinated from seed. Its still quite small, with only 2 leaves (one of which is smallish), and it isn't growing very fast at all, with almost no visible progress in the last couple weeks. My concern is that it is nearing September and I'm worried this little guy won't survive his first winter (I have no idea if this concern is justified or not mind you).

I have never wintered any bonsai yet as I've only just gotten into it in the last 3 months or so. I am in Boise, ID and have been keeping the seedling inside by a south facing window that mostly receives indirect light. Its been so hot here (near 100 F) that I've been hesitant to put it outside and it is so fragile I worried about wind.

My biggest question is how to best winter this small seedling...and actually I was wondering if I could "skip" this first winter and just keep it inside with a growing light over the winter instead? If I do need to winter it, I have a closed garage with a west facing window as an option...

Also any other advice would be helpful. I'm thoroughly watering it once every day or two, fertilizing every 14 days or so with low-med-med types of fertilizer.

Attachments

• 20150806_182110.jpg
    20150806_182110.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20150806_182106.jpg
    20150806_182106.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 42

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It will be a beautiful bonsai in about 30 years, welcome to the forum.

Edit: I thought for growing you need high-low-low.

Last edited:

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I don't know much about acer palmatum babies but normally maples need a dormancy.
Once again speaking only for the acer in general they are very tough to cold weather (in fact they love and need it). There are a lot of Japanese maples (palmatum) in the gardens here (IL) and they pass winter without any trouble.
Last year I collected a tons of babies of various species and let them outside for the winter, only my acer (pseudoplatanus not palmatum) survived with a 100 % success.
So I'll go for your un-heated garage.

Anyway welcome to the nuts world. :)

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
How wet is the soil when you water? That is a big pot for a small plant my personal view is that it may be staying to wet between watering s and it's roots don't really have to "search" so in turn if roots don't grow top doesn't either.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Found this on a random website > (N)itrogen is for green and growth. (P/K)hosphorus and Potassium for fruit, flower and roots.

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I know it will be an extremely long time before it develops, but this is my first tree and the seeds were a gift from my wife...which I actually germinated around the same time that our first child was conceived (wife is 11 weeks pregnant)...so it already has a some sentimental value since I have dreams of it being around (and as old) as our first child. I even read that the Japanese nickname for Acer Palmatum is "Baby's Hands" due to the leaves...Now I know I'm getting way ahead of myself and getting my hopes up and that of course I'm likely to kill trees as a beginner, but I can still hope this one turns out to be a special one for all the reasons above.

I've started other trees including a few ficus and juniper that are at other (and later) stages of development so this seedling is fine with me as a LOONNGG term project.

It hasn't been every day exactly I'm watering...perhaps every 1.5 or occassionally 2 days. The top "bonsai soil mix" I bought and put it in is barely damp/soft/cool to the touch when I water it usually.

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
And I was using low-med-med fertilizer since I've read our Bonsai Society here in Boise recommends something like a 0-10-10 fertilizer as we approach winter to help prepare the tree for dormancy and I guess not to have it working on new greenery...?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This Acer needs to be outside. It is not getting pure, unfiltered UV, proper air circulation and a million other things it needs to thrive while it sits indoors. If you leave it inside it won't last long.

Keep it in the shade for a while when you move it outside. Let it adapt to it's new environment and after a couple weeks it should start pushing a new bud between those two leaves, progressively move it to more sun after the new growth starts.
Leinster protection for such a young tree is advisable, but it still needs to get COLD, like right at or just below freezing for extended periods of time. Ideally between about 29-39 degrees would be perfect I'd say... So for your winters, keep it somewhere like an Unheated garage or something comparable once it drops it's leaves.

The following year it would probably be fine to keep it outside through the winter if you out it up against a wall of your house and mulch heavily around the pot... But I am no expert on your location, so reach out to someone close bye who IS and has grown Maples there- do you see JM I t heroine in your area a lot? My Mom is from Indiana which should have comparable winters to yours and she said they grew there no problem, so a potted one should be fine outdoors once established if protected a little bit.

Your fertilizer should be fine... You can worry about that more next year if you don't get much growth.. I don't agree with 0 N ferts- the tree uses what it needs when it needs it and will store the rest for the following Spring in my humble opinion. You can decrease the N content if you see your tree is growing too fast, or with maples they can get almost like N poisoning from too much and get ugly, curled up leaves, but just eliminating it all together because Fall is a couple months off? Not necessary IMO. It is a pretty commonly debated topic though, I certainly am not the "final word" on that.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And congratulations!

20 bucks says within 3 years that baby pulls that Acer out!

Get ready feller!

Welcome to Crazy. We do potty training too!

Sorce

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Outside in summer, protected from wind. In the garage in winter (when low temp s are getting close to 15F) - be sure to water it occasionally during the winter, because the air is very dry!

It is a big challenge to keep any acer palmatum, just about anywhere, in Idaho.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will winter my new baby with the rest tucked against the basement wall on the mulch bed.image.jpg

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My biggest question is how to best winter this small seedling...and actually I was wondering if I could "skip" this first winter and just keep it inside with a growing ligh
So to answer your 'Biggest' question--- No ,Stick that seedling outside --- North side of your building/home is best if possible. ---. This protects it from the sun/ freeze/thaw cycle. Will not grow anymore significant growth if kept inside. It needs it's Winter dormancy Good luck with your tree.

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I really appreciate all the input. I honestly hadn't expected so many prompt and helpful responses. I've read so much about new growers needing to put their trees outside so I should know better...I guess I just felt like I needed to protect it. Even though its night I've already put it outside I promise!

I'm also going to meet our local Bonsai society tomorrow for an event they are having and I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks again everyone.

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Mine stay outside year around on the east side of the garage. They don't die until I try to do something stupid like leave them in full sun on a 105+ day. After eight years of work, gone in two days. Learn from me. Nice tree, congrats on the baby and welcome!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boise,

I wouldn't stake it per say, but keep a loose wire on it, or maybe some big rocks around it, to keep it from doing the flop and rot after you water.

I hope you can gift this tree to said baby at college graduation! I'm into sentimental.

But we do have to get you off of that sentimental thing, grandma's vase, (smashed), that old photo,(torn), any other family heirloomish stuff,(flushed).

They find a way to break everything!

Wait, maybe that's just mine!

Sorce

Top Bottom