Acer palmatum Seigen? Which one?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
View attachment 339533
Im considering buying one of these - which would you choose and why?
I’d go FAR left... for base/girth.. and more mature, lower options.. but that’s just me. (i’d TRULY take ANY...🤣

It depends on what you’d like FROM the tree...

🤓

What’chu thinkin’?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Cant really see the nebari on these, and that is a good portion of what you're purchasing. Branches can be remade, but a good base and nebari are key to a good tree. Also like above answer, it does depend on what type of tree you want. Classic or natural? The one on the left could be a good natural tree, with a uro carving. I don't care for #2 (from left) the other 2 could be decent trees #3 has at least a bit more taper than #4. If you really want to do it right, you'd probably be chopping either of those down a lower branch. #3 has a couple decent lower branches to work with already.
I believe I'd choose #1 or #3 depending on what styling I'd do to it.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Cant really see the nebari on these, and that is a good portion of what you're purchasing. Branches can be remade, but a good base and nebari are key to a good tree. Also like above answer, it does depend on what type of tree you want. Classic or natural? The one on the left could be a good natural tree, with a uro carving. I don't care for #2 (from left) the other 2 could be decent trees #3 has at least a bit more taper than #4. If you really want to do it right, you'd probably be chopping either of those down a lower branch. #3 has a couple decent lower branches to work with already.
I believe I'd choose #1 or #3 depending on what styling I'd do to it.
That’s crazy! My eyes did almost ALL those exact things to these trees, ALSO!

🤣

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think it depends on whether you intend to rebuild from the base, or whether you’re looking for a more “finished” tree.

#4 appears to have the best base for the former option. #2 appears to be the only one that doesn’t need to be chopped to remove unfixable structural flaws for the latter option.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
second from left has the best movement. That would be my tree. The left is much thicker but ugly to me..
Check the internode distances on the trees which will dictate where to expect sidebranches. And have a look at the nebari, although that will improve with proper rootwork.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the 2nd from the left, there is just something about it that appeals to me. Super envious you have 4 to choose from!

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Im grateful everyone for all your advice and observations. I was tempted by numbers one and two, but after mulling it over Ive decided against buying one of these due to the price and the poor nebari. Thanks everyone!:)

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Deshojo is very red in the spring. Seigen is more of a pink-red. Seigen looks like many other maples in the spring really. Deshojo is one of the few that are true red but have palmatum leaves. Most red maples, or those with red spring color, have larger leaves like amoneum or matsumurae style. Hard to explain but those with palmatum style leaves tend to be the best for bonsai as they are more compact and easier to ramify.

Top Bottom