Acer palmatum Senkaki from cutting (aka Sango Kaku)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes it is from the same maple seller. But no, he doesn't have any Arakawa nor Seigen to sell. .. Unfortunately. 😢

This tree suffered an attack of aphids, just like my other JM, in spring. The other JM continued to grow after treatment, with a good summer growth.. but not this one : This year it grew very little because of aphids..
View attachment 516360

So, next year, i'll treat preventively against aphids all my JM to avoid this disappointment. I will do treatment when the leaves start to developp and another one in Summer. (+ antifungal treatment).
Now i understand why, in Japan, the trees are monitored every day and regularly treated, preventively, against insects and fungal diseases (every month or so) 😷
I had a Wooley aphid problem on a Beech this year, no matter what I sprayed they just kept coming back and even looking at the tree last night I can see them, still active while the temps get colder. The tree hardly grew, but I think it will be ok. I'll be applying this stuff shortly, its a natural product that ive often used on my trees over winter, the oils deprive insects from depositing eggs and overwintering. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-500m...9722578&sprefix=winter+wash+vit,aps,85&sr=8-2

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
I had a Wooley aphid problem on a Beech this year, no matter what I sprayed they just kept coming back and even looking at the tree last night I can see them, still active while the temps get colder. The tree hardly grew, but I think it will be ok. I'll be applying this stuff shortly, its a natural product that ive often used on my trees over winter, the oils deprive insects from depositing eggs and overwintering. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vitax-500ml-Winter-Tree-Wash/dp/B004KL2CEW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=2XHLUNSZ852LR&keywords=vitax+winter+tree+wash&qid=1699722578&sprefix=winter+wash+vit,aps,85&sr=8-2
i use "spruzzit" (white oil + pyrethrums) which is very effective too.. 2 applications/year are enough with my mahaleb prunus, to avoid any aphids problems.. so i'll do the same on my JM. I think growing trees in a greenhouse increase the risk of pest/fungus problems

Top Bottom