Shohin
Reaction score
There's bonsai and then there's bonsai!

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
It is soft not the baked stuff. It starts to brake down in 2 to 3 years but by that time it is time to repot again.
Do you use 100% Akadama or do you mix in some pumic or lava rock? I found a nice on at the local nursery and want to be prepared for next spring's repotting.
Thank you!

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Didn't realize it's the first time I am updating this thread with pics this year. Not quite yet where I need this tree to be so delayed exhibiting it at the Winter Silhouette Expo this year.
It's fascinating that when I first saw your post suggesting repotting into this blue pot, I thought to myself that the color of the pot would take attention away from the tree. However, when I saw this post, I was drawn by the fine ramification of the branches and it took me at lease 30 seconds to notice the blue pot. It is such a wonderful match!

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Do you use 100% Akadama or do you mix in some pumic or lava rock? I found a nice on at the local nursery and want to be prepared for next spring's repotting.
Thank you!

I typically use a mix of 80% akadama with 20% Kiryu. However please adjust your mix according to your environment. If it's very wet use less akadama.

Top Bottom