Acer Palmatum Shindeshojo - Aphids

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I get black aphids on the cherry and plum trees in the orchard. Harder to get rid of than the soft, green ones on roses. The black ones make the leaves curl up so they have somewhere to hide and that makes them harder to spray. Grey aphids feed on cabbage family. Not coloured by the plant but a different species which is naturally grey.
Have occasionally seen aphids on Japanese maples but fortunately not here yet.
A assume that different aphid species prefer different host plants which is why we see the ones we recognise on a narrow range of plants.

Olific

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
That is a shame. It looks like an aphid that has been attacked by a parasitic wasp. These tiny wasps are really good at keeping aphid numbers down but routinely spraying your insects tends to kill them off as well. The parasitised aphids don’t look like the live ones and are easily spotted once you know what they look like. Search the net for “aphid mummies”, there is plenty of info and pictures
I caught a picture of one those flying insects I saw. Seems to match the description.IMG-6652.JPGIMG-6654.JPG

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
tree has a bit of everything, don't it?!?!:):):):):):):)

aphids, caterpillars, the weird bulge in the leaf....yikes!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

squish the black bugs like they were pimples, check every shoot to the tip where the sweet juice be....they like that stuff. Get some spray to deal with the unruly ones that escape your grasp. Ant in silhouette dead give away for an infestation.:cool:

.......squish, squish, sprish, sprish!!!;):D:D:D:D:D:D

Olific

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Quick update: The aphids have now been over run by a massive amount of these parasitic wasps. From my research it seems that they don't actually harm the tree. Should I let them stick around or is there any reason I should combat them?

terryb

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Quick update: The aphids have now been over run by a massive amount of these parasitic wasps. From my research it seems that they don't actually harm the tree. Should I let them stick around or is there any reason I should combat them?

The only thing the wasps are interested in is the aphids. Leave them be and they will keep your aphids under control. If you have other plants with aphids, they will quickly control those too. Win:win situation

Olific

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The only thing the wasps are interested in is the aphids. Leave them be and they will keep your aphids under control. If you have other plants with aphids, they will quickly control those too. Win:win situation
That's what I thought, just wanted to double check. Thx for the response

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Look for "black aphids" on Google ;-)
Besides some aphids tend to get the color of the leaves they suck.
@Mike Hennigan
I’ll make it easy for you, found these on my mock orange in the landscape couple weeks ago. Found a few on my Japanese maple bonsai as well.
F3B5D45A-53A3-421C-9132-0D243710E412.jpeg0D40BB27-8AFC-4103-8C84-ECA6C7B6778E.jpeg

Top Bottom