Acer palmatum, sun burn ?

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Hello,
Are these leaves on my acer palmatum sun burned? Tree was reported around 3 weeks back, duds opened up. It gets a few hours of sun every day but last few days were rather cool at around 15-20 degrees celsius. Should I shade it as these are new leaves? Some leaves aren't affected and a trident maple next to it is completely normal.
Screenshot_20200510-185200_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200510-185213_Gallery.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
When is the last time you had a frost? Very new leaves can get fried by a good frost.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What I see in the first pic is like what happens when there are no roots. A so-called hardwood cutting ( = a cutting taken after leaf drop in the fall and before bud break in the spring) will do this --> buds break, leaves are expressed, but never harden; they simply droop and slowly dry. If this is just one branch, it was damaged in some way (xylem clogged) and will not recover, so prune it (or the part of the branch with leaves like this) away.

What I call 'sunburn' of maple leaves is when part of the leaf turns dry brown. With wind and dry air it will likely be the leaf margins. If it is strictly too much sun it will be the area of the leaves most exposed to sunlight.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
When is the last time you had a frost? Very new leaves can get fried by a good frost.
We never have frost here. Maybe rarely 1-2 days every 2-3 years.winter is typically around 10 degrees celsius and drops 5-6 degrees typically in cold days.

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
What I see in the first pic is like what happens when there are no roots. A so-called hardwood cutting ( = a cutting taken after leaf drop in the fall and before bud break in the spring) will do this --> buds break, leaves are expressed, but never harden; they simply droop and slowly dry. If this is just one branch, it was damaged in some way (xylem clogged) and will not recover, so prune it (or the part of the branch with leaves like this) away.

What I call 'sunburn' of maple leaves is when part of the leaf turns dry brown. With wind and dry air it will likely be the leaf margins. If it is strictly too much sun it will be the area of the leaves most exposed to sunlight.

Basically couple branches showing this will remove as suggested. Thanks for the explanation.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Our California scorching siroccos have limited me to ONE Japanese maple. It was free so I didn't care.
But it's alive.
Not so with any I have paid money for. :mad:

Top Bottom