Acer palmatum 'Tama Hime'

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Last Sunday, there was a "swap" session - whatever you call it, we say "troc bonsai", at our club.

I sold/gave a few saplings and a Picea pungens 'glauca' for a few Euros to friends that I know will take good care of them, and got an Acer palmatum 'Tama Hime' for my collection of now 33 cultivars (he he...).

I went with 15€ and came back with 15€, and this tree that I'll repot in the coming days, then air-layer. The graft is very neatly done, but I"m not sure I'll "bonsaify" it:

acerp-tamahime01_190219a.jpg

acerp-tamahime01_190219b.jpg

The "Hime" series is very interesting for bonsai since they have small leaves and internodes.

"Hime" means "princess" from what I know.

This one is not particularly spectacular compared to other "Hime". From what I saw on the net, it has a very low, rounded canopy when left to grow freely.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Interesting! The tamahime I've seen and grown are very flat, growing like pancakes. Not doubting you, but something likely affected it to grow more upright.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I approve of taking a bunch of airlayers!

Thus little tree has great potential, but it’s very leggy (too tall) with little taper in those tall branches.

Take the layers, and do a hard cutback, and you’ll have something nice!

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
In case you didn't know. Tamahime is one of those maples with branches that break easily so you've got to catch the growth early for wiring.

rodeolthr

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
An acquaintance of mine in Seattle had Tama hime growing as a landscape plant in his garden. It had the smallest leaves of any of his trees, including the other Himes. I'm not sure if that's always the case, but they were absolutely miniature and the "tree" (more of a butterball of a small bush) was growing freely in enriched garden soil.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I entirely agree with Adair! Do your layers, cut it hard back and make a petite little broom or something else out of it. Even if you don't choose to keep it for yourself, someone will be very glad to have it and learn from it. It can be excellent trade material for something you like better. Good luck with it!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
It was rootbound, so I had to repot it. I first thought of a round plastic pot, but when I removed it from the pot, I remembered I had a rectangular blue pot which has a small crack on oe of its side, so I cut some of the roots at the bottom (not much) and entangled a little the ones on the sides.

I'm pretty sure when it's in full leaf it will be one of the favourites for my "non-bonsai-enthusiasts" friends ;)

I still intend to take some air-layers, but on one side, I can see an interesting trunk line, so I might work it as a bonsai in the coming years. It doesn't seem to be grafted, or if it is, it was so nicely done, very low, that it's now invisible.

acerp-tamahime01_190307a.jpg

acerp-tamahime01_190307b.jpg

A quick sketch. Of course the proportions might be a bit different in the future and it will (would) take some years, but that's what I have in mind, a rather flat, rounded canopy which seems to be the natural shape of this cultivar :

acerp-tamahime01_190307b-V.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like a shorter tree with branches starting lower.

D

Deleted member 21616

I found Peter Chan's last video on nebari very reassuring when he discussed the UK's market for what are essentially "big bonsai".

That is undoubtedly the topic where I have met the most resistance on this site!

I'd say keep it big and beautiful! There's no shame in applying select bonsai techniques to a big trees, and no issue with putting one in a 'bonsai' pot :)

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
No my friend, I saw it.

Oh, OK ;)

I'll have to see the leaves before making a decision anyway, it's hard to make a decision before it's in full leaves and we'll see what it's like when I've removed the prospective air-layers.

So far, the tree is about 70 cm tall (3 and a half feet)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Oh, OK ;)

I'll have to see the leaves before making a decision anyway, it's hard to make a decision before it's in full leaves and we'll see what it's like when I've removed the prospective air-layers.

So far, the tree is about 70 cm tall (3 and a half feet)
Great idea. Airlayer and then use for thread grafts.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I finally decided not to make it a bonsai (so far), but a "potted tree".

Anyway, the tray was too small, too shallow, I doubt it would have survived another summer like the ones we've been having in the past few years...

acerp-tamahime01_220307b.jpg acerp-tamahime01_220307c.jpg acerp-tamahime01_220307d.jpg acerp-tamahime01_220307e.jpg

Top Bottom