Acer palmatum

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
At least there is a small bit of hope... Although these leaves will quickly decline and die because of the cold weather is truly here now.
Nothing I can really do to help them or save energy in the tree, is there?

DSC_0839 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0840 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
As long as there's no pruning now the tree is smart enough to prep for Winter. Mine have similar new growth. September 1st is my cue to put all away the shears for this growing season - pruning is the best way to trigger tender growth that will struggle to harden off properly.

It'll be interesting to see how it responds to a substrate change next year. I wish you well.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This guy has been repotted now. Roots were all in a good shape, not a bad pad of roots if I do say so myself in fact. I think in future it would be nice to plant this higher in the pot, it has some nebari hidden. Elegant nebari, I would say.

Could have potentially not repotted yet, was nicely filling the pot but not too bad yet. However, given its issues, I wanted to remove the possibility for a root problem by checking them out. The rootball was wet, so all roots appear as black.

DSC_1275 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1274 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1273 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1272 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1271 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

It was potted in to majority medium sized clay molar, some bark for organic content.

Hope this gives it a good start to the season and I get the thickeness I need in to the 2 primaries. They are currently very long and wire scarred.. Just didnt get quite get the thickness I want, soon as I get it in the next few months, I can prune back and remove the ugliness.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This tree is doing well. Wow 17 pages of this thread, plus another thread on it.. This tree has been... effort. Its responding well @Paulpash the leaves ALL look very healthy currently. No stunted growth, no blacked tips, no irregular shapes. "Perfect in every way". Looking forward to the 2 long primaries getting the thickness I want so I can finally cut them off. The wire scars will be removed at that point.

DSC_1531 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1534 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1533 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1532 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

DSC_1530 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
Not much maintenance this year for this tree. Just cutting the 2 long primaries, and potentially thinning some of the bunches of leaves to allow sunlight through. I have rotated it so the big bunch of leaves faces the sun mostly. Just needs to grow and regain vigor from the repotting and heavy pruning last year. Some scars to heal.

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
This tree is doing well. Wow 17 pages of this thread, plus another thread on it.. This tree has been... effort. Its responding well @Paulpash the leaves ALL look very healthy currently. No stunted growth, no blacked tips, no irregular shapes. "Perfect in every way". Looking forward to the 2 long primaries getting the thickness I want so I can finally cut them off. The wire scars will be removed at that point.

Not much maintenance this year for this tree. Just cutting the 2 long primaries, and potentially thinning some of the bunches of leaves to allow sunlight through. I have rotated it so the big bunch of leaves faces the sun mostly. Just needs to grow and regain vigor from the repotting and heavy pruning last year. Some scars to heal.
Glad it's doing ok Conor it will get to where you want it I'm sure of it my acers are so happy right now with this sun and the fact I'm at home 24/7 to look after them and pinch and keep them happy.

How are you doing anyhow keeping safe I hope

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score

Excellent 👍 getting trees to grow strongly is half the battle. The other half, which will come in time, is how best to direct it 😊. Is it in full sun too?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Glad it's doing ok Conor it will get to where you want it I'm sure of it my acers are so happy right now with this sun and the fact I'm at home 24/7 to look after them and pinch and keep them happy.

How are you doing anyhow keeping safe I hope

Thanks buddy, yes honestly.. I’ll admit this here and no where else as I feel this forum will understand it, but being at home and seeing my trees in the sun, watering as much as needed, seeing them happy and healthy is very relaxing. My stress levels are lower due to them. It’s very peaceful.

Im good thanks, working from home full time, everything has continued as normal for me. Crazy world out there, I’m staying in here! Hope you, family and the trees are all keeping well and safe?

Excellent 👍 getting trees to grow strongly is half the battle. The other half, which will come in time, is how best to direct it 😊. Is it in full sun too?

Indeed, :). Yes, my bench faces the direction the sun rises each morning, so currently all my trees are hit by the sun asap and have it as long as they can (without me moving them from 1 side to the other everyday!). Sun on them from 8 odd till 5-6 ish I think. In a fairly free draining mix so I’m watering whenever but as it’s freshly repotted, it’s not stretched out in to the new substrate yet to use the water.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks buddy, yes honestly.. I’ll admit this here and no where else as I feel this forum will understand it, but being at home and seeing my trees in the sun, watering as much as needed, seeing them happy and healthy is very relaxing. My stress levels are lower due to them. It’s very peaceful.

Im good thanks, working from home full time, everything has continued as normal for me. Crazy world out there, I’m staying in here! Hope you, family and the trees are all keeping well and safe?

Indeed, :). Yes, my bench faces the direction the sun rises each morning, so currently all my trees are hit by the sun asap and have it as long as they can (without me moving them from 1 side to the other everyday!). Sun on them from 8 odd till 5-6 ish I think. In a fairly free draining mix so I’m watering whenever but as it’s freshly repotted, it’s not stretched out in to the new substrate yet to use the water.
OK great stuff. I'm as keen as you to see progress (teacher Pash coming out).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well the leaves near the crown, where it’s busiest, have blackened tips. All others, like on the 2 large branches, are fine.
Perhaps fert burn but I did wait 3 weeks + before fertilising after repot. Being watered plenty after suspicions of not watering enough last year.

Have removed a number of unnecessary shoots all around, to redirect energy And thin out to allow light in. Will see!

Attachments

• ED5D0C41-2C9D-431F-BABA-86F52AA464AE.jpeg
    ED5D0C41-2C9D-431F-BABA-86F52AA464AE.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 31
  • 7C8101D3-15DA-4E6C-9C50-7FAD26787559.jpeg
    7C8101D3-15DA-4E6C-9C50-7FAD26787559.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 31

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cheers to the great documentation on this one. It's helpful for others for sure.

Every time I see this tree I think this...another idea/suggestion... Cascade that tree. Take advantage of that sweet sweet low trunk bend and the uneven root spread. Sweet ms paint sketches comin' up!

tree2.JPG

tree1.JPG

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Cheers to the great documentation on this one. It's helpful for others for sure.

Every time I see this tree I think this...another idea/suggestion... Cascade that tree. Take advantage of that sweet sweet low trunk bend and the uneven root spread. Sweet ms paint sketches comin' up!

View attachment 296093

View attachment 296095

Lol wow marks for creativity, I didn’t see that, that’s for sure! Very nice idea, I appreciate it. Maybe in it’s future :) I’ve a vision at the moment of a fairly elegant upright look with the nice trunk I have but if I don’t end up killing this tree, any ideas are welcome!

im upset to see these black tips of leaves again now.. I’m hoping it’s just an AcerP thing.. leaves too sensitive, it’s bound to happen... someone can post that andput my mind at rest! Lol.

you say well documented, this thread is a testament to mostly my failings but at least a lot of learning.. I’ve got from the ground up with this tree in terms of my experience and learning. And still... not succeeding yet!!

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Well the leaves near the crown, where it’s busiest, have blackened tips. All others, like on the 2 large branches, are fine.
Perhaps fert burn but I did wait 3 weeks + before fertilising after repot. Being watered plenty after suspicions of not watering enough last year.

Have removed a number of unnecessary shoots all around, to redirect energy And thin out to allow light in. Will see!
I'm not saying it is this but have you been tracking the night time temperatures? I've set up an ITT condition that warns me a day before by email that frost is due.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
As Paul says it could well be frost damage. There’s going to be frost in the SE again tonight.

If you have any Roseclear Ultra on hand give it a spray with that as well, to inhibit possible fungal issues or tip damage from aphids.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not saying it is this but have you been tracking the night time temperatures? I've set up an ITT condition that warns me a day before by email that frost is due.
As Paul says it could well be frost damage. There’s going to be frost in the SE again tonight.

If you have any Roseclear Ultra on hand give it a spray with that as well, to inhibit possible fungal issues or tip damage from aphids.

Yeah I tend to go by the iPhone weather app, anything 1 and below, I move it and the olive in to sheltered unheated. Tonight looks like 3 at lowest for me over here. Any less andI’d move it. I’ve been moving it..
I also sprayed with rose clear ultra about.. 1-2 weeks ago. I tend to spray pest and fungicide on a rotation, I’ve got 2-3 different types of both, spraying every 3 weeks or so... I’d rather be safe than sorry!
But maybe I wasn’t careful enough with frost. I also move it in due to winds, perhaps winds got it too...

appreciate the posts guys, always thankful for your input.

Edit: you know what.. I’m just gonna move the thing in and out, each night it gets even 3-4c.. it’s not missing out on any light and removes this freezing and wind variable. Only gotta do it a month, till leaves harden off. Hopefully the existing black tips don’t get worse, they stay as are.

Last edited:

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like frost damage to me if I'm honest maybe due to the repot a few weeks ago.
Did you bareroot the tree when you repotted it ?
Just wondering as I had the same on my acer a few years ago and I bare rooted the tree completely then i potted it up into akadama pumice and lava with pine bark I used large particle soil then I gave it a good top dressing of smaller sized akadama
The reason I did this was that the roots were staying too wet in the core by the old soil as it was planted in pure akadama previously and that had turned to clay.
By the way akadama is fine to use in deciduous trees as you repot it every 1 two 3 years anyway and you would find that the frost damage to it would only be in the surface layer of akadama so just replace the topsoil every spring.
Just a thought that's all as the first think I learned is that if your seeing issues with your foliage normally it's because the tree is not as healthy under the soil.

Last edited:

Rob_phillips

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks like frost damage to me if I'm honest maybe due to the repot a few weeks ago.
Did you bareroot the tree when you repotted it ?
Just wondering as I had the same on my acer a few years ago and I bare rooted the tree completely then i potted it up into akadama pumice and lava with pine bark I used large particle soil then I gave it a good top dressing of smaller sized akadama
The reason I did this was that the roots were staying too wet in the core by the old soil as it was planted in pure akadama previously and that had turned to clay.
By the way akadama is fine to use in deciduous trees as you repot it every 1 two 3 years anyway and you would find that the frost damage to it would only be in the surface layer of akadama so just replace the topsoil every spring.
Just a thought that's all as the first think I learned is that if your seeing issues with your foliage normally it's because the tree is not as healthy under the soil.
Sorry just properly looked at the repot pics above I can see you didn't bareroot it completely.
Did you bareroot it when you first got the tree?

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
May I ask what technology you use and how you set that up it could be very useful

Very simple to set up. Just add your location, temperature threshold, how and when to be notified (mine's by email the day before).

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sorry didnt realise I had a post to reply to here...
Sorry just properly looked at the repot pics above I can see you didn't bareroot it completely.
Did you bareroot it when you first got the tree?

I think so, although the history of it will be in the beginning of this thread. I have barerooted since first getting the tree. I repotted it in the first year i had it, this now being the 4th year, repotted for the second time.
Its doing very well currently, its really grow and growing a lot. Its strong enough to have now pushed a 2nd flush of growth, with no pruning. Which we both know from Peter Warrens streams, is a good thing ;). I see your 2 names pop up in the comments @Paulpash @Rob_phillips .

Today, complete mess of foliage..
DSC_1867 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Second flush appearing:
DSC_1866 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_1871 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

Having looked online at other Acer Palmatums, I am not quite happy with the thickness of the bottom 2 primaries, yet.. nearly, so close but not yet. They are the bottom most, so need to be biggest (roughly following certain rules).
DSC_1869 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

This one is stronger than the other, as the other had quite bad wire scars which has limited the cambium tissue on a section of branch. This one is persuading me to cut it...

DSC_1868 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

I cannot wait to remove these branches.. they are a HUGE pain in the wind we get, and moving positioning the tree.. they are huge branches and are hit by wind hard.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's helpful for others for sure.

Damn! So is that virt!

When we are able to visualize such an extreme, and reasonable change, everything between the 2 extremes also becomes visible.

Awesome!

Sorce

Top Bottom