Acer Palmatum 'Beni-Maiko'

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello,

I picked up a new Maple from Bobby. We are unconfirmed on exact cultivar, so please do have a few guesses if you like.
I expect maybe next spring, as the leaves emerge and mature, will give more info. We do suspect 1 cultivar but I will not say it, and see what people guess :)

DSC_0804 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0807 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0806 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0805 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0809 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0812 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr
DSC_0797 by Conor Dashwood, on Flickr

It is just akadama at the moment. Will prune during winter to select keepers.

Suggestions and ideas, welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

ajm55555

Chumono
Reaction score
Stuttgart DE, via Verona/Padova IT, Atlanta GA.
USDA Zone
7b
I would also say Shindeshojo. Deshojo is very similar and a possibility. I still do not know a sure way to distinguish them.
Maybe Shindeshojo's leaves are a bit more variegated before transitioning to dark green.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Well I’m unsure what pic to take to help! Might just have to wait till spring.
What about beni maiko?

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another maple to experiment with :) are you going to change out the substrate on this one to the same as your other or have 2 mixes and see what's better?

Borko

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is Shindeshojo .... You can see leaf. This leaf are very specific and shindeshojo is easy to recognise.
I will picture some of green leaf ...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Another maple to experiment with :) are you going to change out the substrate on this one to the same as your other or have 2 mixes and see what's better?

Hey Paul,

Well the other Maple (God willing this Maple doesn't have the troubled 3 years that one did), is in the tesco cat litter, 100%. Thats no longer sold so my typical mix is Kaizen inorganic clay fired granules and some bark. This is in 100% akadama. I dont believe it will need repotting next Spring so I'd rather leave it to establish and grow strongly, after that, probably keep it in 100% inorganic again. The akadama it is in, is so easy to water and nice looking too.. The water drains straight through.
Maybe some time Ill give up and admit that akadama is best and use it for everything like the other half of the world does lol.

This is Shindeshojo .... You can see leaf. This leaf are very specific and shindeshojo is easy to recognise.
I will picture some of green leaf ...

View attachment 263529View attachment 263530

Thanks for your pics. Time will tell next year perhaps when new growth hardens off, etc. I am reliably told it is Beni Maiko, at the moment. I've not the skill nor experience to tell anyone any different yet :)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know what it is and wouldn't hazard a guess. That is all you are going to get is guesses. Important thing is it is beautiful and healthy. I have a few maples that lost their tags many years ago. I guess I will remain curious, but I love them no less.

Borko

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Conor,

Beni maiko is on my profile picture. This is picture from april 26th. I have two beni maiko. I will post few picture from spring,summer and now.

Then it may be easier to identify . I will picture now ...
I guess it's not dark yet ;)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Well the other Maple (God willing this Maple doesn't have the troubled 3 years that one did), is in the tesco cat litter, 100%. Thats no longer sold so my typical mix is Kaizen inorganic clay fired granules and some bark. This is in 100% akadama. I dont believe it will need repotting next Spring so I'd rather leave it to establish and grow strongly, after that, probably keep it in 100% inorganic again. The akadama it is in, is so easy to water and nice looking too.. The water drains straight through.
Maybe some time Ill give up and admit that akadama is best and use it for everything like the other half of the world does lol.

Thanks for your pics. Time will tell next year perhaps when new growth hardens off, etc. I am reliably told it is Beni Maiko, at the moment. I've not the skill nor experience to tell anyone any different yet :)

its one or the other, theyre very similar as you now know.

Top Bottom