Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on fertilizing a red maple/swamp maple yamadori bonsai? Like what type of fertilizer to use and how often to use it? Brand names are very helpful. The tree is most likely 25-30 years old.

Also what soil mixture would you guys recommend? I’m seeing various different ideas everywhere on japanese maples, ex. pumice based, perlite, pine bark, cat litter, lava rock, diatomaceous earth, etc., but not on acer rubrum. I do not have access to akadama. I’d assume that since this type of maple likes sopping wet, nutrient rich swampy soils, it needs some organic aspects to its substrate and water retaining soils. Should I incorporate sphagnum moss? I have a bag of dirt from where I dug the maple, should I incorporate some of that?

Any help would be appreciated, I’m on a time crunch!

Here’s the tree btw:
FC3128A6-8AAA-415D-9523-FAF0496B7D27.jpeg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Don’t assume that just because it can grow in a swamp that your substrate should be “swampy.” Do not use the “dirt.”

I would use pumice with some organics mixed in. For the organic component, I like to use Fox Farm Ocean Forest potting soil in a 50/50 ratio with pumice. Other soils would work fine too. This is for development in a box or something equivalent - not a bonsai pot. Very affordable and simple.

For fertilizers you can go organic with Biogold pellets and Neptune’s Harvest Fish and Seaweed liquid every couple of weeks in the growing season. I wouldn’t worry about fertilizing until spring but I don’t know your climate down there in FL.

Good luck, this is a nice base!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ve had one in a pot for 34 years. It’s now in APL and fertilized with just about anything I have, once a week while growing. It’s watered once or twice a day. I’m partial to dyna-grow products.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I use Plant Tone on my red maples. I dont fertilize them heavy because I do not want huge internodes. Fertilize them in fall or late summer to reduce the internode length.

Soil for training is either 1:1 Napa 8822 and Perlite or 1:1 saf-t-sorb and perlite. You can add ingredients like pine bark, crushed granite, pumice, etc. If you want.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
This doesn't totally answer your question but it's a good read.

Dennis Vojtilla only fertilizes his deciduous trees during late summer/fall for internode reduction and he seems to have had great success, so that is my current regiment. I love neptunes harvest seaweed + fish fertilizer but I wouldn't get too obsessed with brands and timing just yet. It'll take some experimenting to see what makes trees in your climate happy.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You won't need any fertilizer for months. This tree has no roots and no ability at this point to absorb fertilizers. It won't need fert until well into the growing season, when it has hardened leaves that allow it to photosynthesize. Applying it now is futile.

First things first, get it into BONSAI SOIL, no potting soil. Wet potting soil will inhibit or even prevent root regeneration. More porous bonsai soil pulls in O2 that greatly enhances root production. Keep moist look for new buds forming in the coming months. Let that new growth alone allow it to extend. The goal now this year (and the next) is to simply get the plant growing, ANY Growth is good at this point.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have my saplings growing out in NAPA 8822 and monto clay the past several years. They will grow in any substrate that can retain moisture while still being free flowing when watering.

20210805_103535.jpg20210805_103616.jpg20210805_103309.jpg20210805_103405.jpg20210805_103245.jpg20210805_103255.jpg20210617_193025.jpg20210617_192915.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I put the tree in a mix of 50% perlite, 50% organic mix (very similar to Fox Farm Ocean Forest).

Any suggestions as to how/when/where to shave down this back stump?:
50A41A9D-0BAA-4F23-81E7-C64E3807A166.jpeg

I plan to keep this as the front:
29CF5991-C039-4EA8-8E79-FBB88052303B.jpeg

So I’m assuming that I’m going to need to cut that back stump so it’s flush with the rest of the trunk. Idk how I will carve it without a bonsai carving dremel bit. They’re just too expensive. Any suggestions?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't worry about it for now, IMO. First get it growing vigorously. By then (e.g., Jul/Aug 2022, maybe), you likely will see die-back on that stump and then you can use that to guide where you will want to cut it and/or carve into a feature.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies. I put the tree in a mix of 50% perlite, 50% organic mix (very similar to Fox Farm Ocean Forest).

Any suggestions as to how/when/where to shave down this back stump?:
View attachment 413820

I plan to keep this as the front:
View attachment 413817

So I’m assuming that I’m going to need to cut that back stump so it’s flush with the rest of the trunk. Idk how I will carve it without a bonsai carving dremel bit. They’re just too expensive. Any suggestions?
The motion from sawing the stump now that it's potted can grind off developing roots. Not that big of a deal anyway at this point. You can do it at the next repotting in a couple of years.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Let strengthen for a year or two. Let it grow some roots. Fill out the soil. Fertilize appropriately. I would wait to do any more work on the tree until recovery.

Crawforde

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The hormones aren’t needed. Those tissues already want to be roots.
man’s as far as soil goes, I had A. rubrum in just about everything. They don’t seem to mind, as long as they get watered.
the only ones I’ve ever lost (%95 of my trees) were from a lack of watering while I was moving my daughter from Florida to California.
that was a long and awesome road trip.
The homecoming was a bit less awesome, but they grow like weeds so I can start over.

Top Bottom