Acer rubrum Progression Thread

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you've missed nothing. The trunk is very interesting with nice movement in the first half. There's really no need to wire anything. If it were mine, I would see interesting right that lower half of the trunk. All depends on the final size of the tree you want.
BTW enjoy the new little guy, children grow and change so fast.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
its a cool tree, whats your plan? I think id ultimatly plan to expose that trunk and just focus on top growth I think, maybe decide your height and remove some lower growth that will block the movement? probably not cut anything until at least next year besides maybe the low low stuff. I collected a somewhat similar sugar maple this year and keep rubbing off the low buds and eventually did get 2 buds higher up where I wanted them, and they are just sprouting now, its been the 3rd flush of growth that's making them grow it seems.

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
I do want focus on that trunk. And would like it to be about the hight it currently is, maybe slightly taller, though I hear that A.rubrum leaves don't reduce well. That will most likely pose a problem. But, my current issue is trying to figure out where exactly I wish to have the main limbs...

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Good. In this case I would let it grow. When the lower part of the trunk is close to intended thickness, I would chop it in let's say 1/3 of final hight. Then choose a new leader or more leaders and let it grow again. Now I would start wiring. It will be chopped more times , higher and higher...this is the way how to build taper and make it looking like older tree.

That's why I can say I'd focus on the lower part of trunk. The upper part simply might not be kept in close future.

Last edited:

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Right, I was looking at this picture:
downloadfile.jpg
The future of this tree I see in using the part below the red line. Everything above it helps to thicken the trunk.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You are right, I can see it. It's a young tree and I think it can be fixed by controlled development or carving or chopping right below the place with reverse taper. And you made your virtual with the trunk chopped at the same place, didn't you? The species will look better if the tree is taller, it was owner's intention.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You are right, I can see it. It's a young tree and I think it can be fixed by controlled development or carving or chopping right below the place with reverse taper. And you made your virtual with the trunk chopped at the same place, didn't you? The species will look better if the tree is taller, it was owner's intention.

The chop I suggested was slightly lower but a front that help with the taper issue

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
CLIA....

Crazy long internode alert!

Fwiw....I cut my roots back real hard in spring...and threw it in a 4in basket...

It's hardly growing.....but the internodes are right short.

Congrats on the growth!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
20160630_065423.jpg
20160630_065454.jpg

Too bad last year's internodes were way long and this tree sucks!

Sorce

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
It's been a while. I need to get my hands on some legitimate bonsai soil instead of the regular potting soil I've been using, but I didn't want this tree to have too vertical of root growth, so I made this grow box out of a tote that my father had laying around and placed it in there. I remember this thing having next to no roots when I put it in the makeshift bucket pot... Now it's got tons! Such a forgiving tree to my many rookie mistakes. IMG_0980.JPG IMG_0981.JPG IMG_0982.JPG

DrGreenthumb

Seedling
Reaction score
These things bud back like crazy, idk where I'm going with this one though lol, I chopped too late and it never pushed a leader high enough. It just had really cool taper I thought, so I dug er up last year. I had it in really terrible soil, switched to a mix of lava and akadama just to give it a try. Of course I rushed a bit and never put organic in there though, hoping I can just fertilize and be good for a year.

Attachments

• 20170407_164650.jpg
    20170407_164650.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 66

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
These things bud back like crazy, idk where I'm going with this one though lol, I chopped too late and it never pushed a leader high enough. It just had really cool taper I thought, so I dug er up last year. I had it in really terrible soil, switched to a mix of lava and akadama just to give it a try. Of course I rushed a bit and never put organic in there though, hoping I can just fertilize and be good for a year.
That's pretty cool. I am always looking for neat trunks with hollow knots...LOL.

Rjoyce

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Any update on this tree? I am planning on digging up a red maple as soon as the snow disappears around here.

Solaris

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
CLIA....

Crazy long internode alert!

Fwiw....I cut my roots back real hard in spring...and threw it in a 4in basket...

It's hardly growing.....but the internodes are right short.

Congrats on the growth!

Sorce

So you think that growing out a solid trunk, then spending the next few years butchering the roots annually ought to help build good branches? It's an experiment I've been looking to conduct on some of the long-internode-types I've got floating around.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So you think that growing out a solid trunk, then spending the next few years butchering the roots annually ought to help build good branches? It's an experiment I've been looking to conduct on some of the long-internode-types I've got floating around.

There's a lot of questions to the top and bottom "mirroring" theory....

I believe the tree always want to mirror.

But of course our actions make this impossible.

I believe the more drastic our actions, the longer it takes to return to mirrored.

Resorce!

So your plan sounds good except you should use time and observation carefully while in the ground to whack roots and build a good surface rootage.

Then this is where building branches and mirroring come into play.

We have to take into account what we know about trees. The drip edge is real and a tree knows where its roots reach. If a tree is in a small colander, it knows. If the roots are constantly air pruned the nodes semi-reflect it over time.

In a Proper Colander, branches should build easy with this airprunedness.

I think this time in a colander should be spent building your fine feeders and branching. Slow growth, close nodes.....

By the time it reaches a bonsai pot, it should have little room or need to throw long roots.

So if you can get it to this stage.....
Already built with a fat feeder Block and tight nodes...

I think this is the beginning of a "sustainable" tree with long internodes.

Sorce

Top Bottom