Acer rubrum Progression Thread

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
Hey folks, this is going to be my progression thread for the Red Maple (Acer rubrum) that I pulled out of the ground a few months back. DSC_0023.JPG DSC_0024.JPG DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG Here's to it becoming a successful tree in the next decade or so. And here's to be remembering to keep this thread up to date.

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
DSC_0029.JPG DSC_0030.JPG DSC_0031.JPG

It's got a couple new buds popping out, one a little higher than I'd like, but there's one down low in what looks to be a promising area.
DSC_0032.JPG DSC_0033.JPG

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks! When I saw it, I about had a heart attack. I'm new to bonsai, but it was just screaming out, "TAKE ME HOME!"
I had that same feeling with a twisty ponderosa I grabbed this spring. I swear when I looked at it the thing winked at me and said "I'm all yours";).

Aaron

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
You and I should compare notes as I have grabbed and will grab some more acer Rubrums this spring. We should compare notes on growth and how to generate the best results!

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
You and I should compare notes as I have grabbed and will grab some more acer Rubrums this spring. We should compare notes on growth and how to generate the best results!
I will tell you now, that I am a beginner, and know little to nothing of Bonsai... I hope to get out to the local club in the future and learn from people who've been doing it for a while...lol

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
Does anyone else have an issue with trying to figure out which direction they want to take their trees when the tree looks like this? lol... I guess I should hold off on concepts until after the tree starts to actually grow....

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Does anyone else have an issue with trying to figure out which direction they want to take their trees when the tree looks like this? lol... I guess I should hold off on concepts until after the tree starts to actually grow....

It won't hurt to start drawing pictures!

Just wiggle the new leader and branches as much as the base!

Sorce

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
I'm really hoping it shoots more out than just the two buds I see currently...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm really hoping it shoots more out than just the two buds I see currently...
That's probably the distance internode length.They also have nice long petioles on the big leaves.

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
This little guy is coming along pretty nicely. the two buds have multiplied, and the tree has tons of future possibilities all over it now. DSC_0025.JPG DSC_0026.JPG DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0028.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

I was digging that trunk before....

It's gonna be sick now!

Don't pull a me and knock all the buds off!

Sorce

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
Today's update photo's. This thing is growing like crazy. I look forward to finally getting more wire to try and start training the new limbs on this guy.. BTW, should I wait until few years down the road, or start getting them to have better movement right now?
ThanksDSC_0008.JPG DSC_0009.JPG DSC_0010.JPG DSC_0011.JPG DSC_0012.JPG DSC_0013.JPG

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Today's update photo's. This thing is growing like crazy. I look forward to finally getting more wire to try and start training the new limbs on this guy.. BTW, should I wait until few years down the road, or start getting them to have better movement right now?
ThanksView attachment 103717 View attachment 103718 View attachment 103719 View attachment 103720 View attachment 103721 View attachment 103722
I'd start wiring this season for sure, the term is "baby bending", which means bend them when they're young and still flexible, whether you plan to grow it out or start working it into a tree now.

Aaron

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
I'd start wiring this season for sure, the term is "baby bending", which means bend them when they're young and still flexible, whether you plan to grow it out or start working it into a tree now.

Aaron
Yeah, I'm definitely wanting to get some length on those limbs. Just need to get some wire here in a week or two. I already see a problem on the top, since there are 3 sprouting from the same spot. I need to choose one and let it grow (it may end up becoming a sacrificial growth so I can work on some girth of the trunk.

It's crazy seeing the growth on this thing over the past couple of months. And it hasn't even finished pushing new buds yet. I see quite a few popping through.

Borg

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9/8
I still haven't been able to get wire (baby on the way and all my money is going towards supplies for the little guy, he's due any day now). But here is how the tree looks currently. I used a couple pieces of wire with some weights on it in order to get the lower limbs to lay a little more flat. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated (this is the first tree that I've ever tried to do something like this with, and I'm above my "pay grade" on this one.) DSC_0002.JPG DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG DSC_0005.JPG DSC_0006.JPG DSC_0007.JPG

Top Bottom