Acer Rubrum (Red Maple) #2

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Here we go again, it's a Maple. This particular leaf is decidedly Red Maple.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that thing exploded. I have a love-hate relationship with my red maple. I'm jealous of those who can reason with their's and gain their cooperation.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks. I have no idea why this particular one went so crazy this year... but it did. Starting to form a nice little trunk on it.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Pretty much all my deciduous grow roots like crazy. I could probably repot every one of them every year if I wanted. This one Is staying this year in the pot though... it could most likely use a prune but I dont think Ill get to it. Will definitely need pruning next year.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Worked this tree today. @Bonsai Nut, can you change the number in the title thread to #11? Thanks.

Very vigorous grower. Figured now would be a good time to reduce vigor and internode length and stimulate re-allocation of energy into producing new buds and shoots.

Before:
20210521_225835.jpg

After preliminary cut back of extensions to first internode:
20210521_230354.jpg

Top down:
20210521_231136.jpg

Cut paste on any larger cuts that Id like to make sure heal well or are close to other branches which I dont want to die off:
20210521_231113.jpg

Probable future front:
20210521_231124.jpg

Tree needs a repot next year which I noted in my spreadsheet.
20210521_232152.jpg

D

Deleted member 32750

Nice acer rubrum. I’ve had 2 random acer rubrum seedlings pop up in my flat of black pine seedlings this spring so I will be working with this species too. I look forward to seeing what we can do with this beautiful native tree.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The key seems to be keeping them in a controlled state of vigor. Dont let them grow too out of control or you will get useless long internodes. They are prone to create clusters of buds in places so use those clusters to your advantage. The tree seems to love sun as long as it stays hydrated. They take well to root pruning like most maples and will grow roots like crazy. Get a decent root ball early on. Fun species.

D

Deleted member 32750

The key seems to be keeping them in a controlled state of vigor. Dont let them grow too out of control or you will get useless long internodes. They are prone to create clusters of buds in places so use those clusters to your advantage. The tree seems to love sun as long as it stays hydrated. They take well to root pruning like most maples and will grow roots like crazy. Get a decent root ball early on. Fun species.
I’ve heard some professionals say that they should be treated as trident maples and can be defoliated since they have similar vigor. Is this what you have experienced as well?

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve heard some professionals say that they should be treated as trident maples and can be defoliated since they have similar vigor. Is this what you have experienced as well?

I havent defoliated any of mine yet, but it might be worth experimenting with. Ill try on one of my trees this year and see how it responds.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year. Has the ugly cut out front. Will just need to let it roll over. Going to let it run mostly next year up top to try and thicken up the base and nebari and heal the scar a bit. Maybe ill try recutting it in spring and covering with cut paste.

IMG_20221015_005123.jpg

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is a fun little tree and a your making good progress with it fairly quickly! I’m looking forward to next years updates.

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
I love Acer Rubrum! And those are some good starts. I'm still growing trunks, but hot damn talk about vigor! They grow up to 24" a year given water and sun, next year I'm going to lightly fertilize and see what happens. I was told only fertilize from spring until early summer... I know every species has a schedule and strength that works best. Anyone with experience on Acer Rubrum have advice on fertilizer schedule and strength?

Top Bottom