Acer Rubrum (Red Maple) #2

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I watched the Joe Rogan with Travis Barker the other day, talk about how musicians are kinda anal and persue the f out of s for perfection.

I hope folks to realize this as that beginning and not a "stick in a pot".

I just hope the electrical grid don't crash too soon!

Keep up the work!

Sorce

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am welcoming the crazy Sorce!

Yes, musicians of a certain caliber are indeed perfectionists. I fall into that category. These are sticks in pots, for sure, but I am treating everything I do to them as if they werent, just because I know it will better my skills and prepare me for when they do become something better.

I dont do anything half assed.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
End of year:

Training: 1
Width: .28"
Height: 9"

Front:
View attachment 270658

From Right:
View attachment 270656

Back:
View attachment 270657

From left:
View attachment 270659

My opinion....once it goes dormant chop at the first branch to get rid of the the scarring above the branch. Wire that branch up as the new leader. Next year let it grow wild and then cut again in fall. Remember to remove the wire before it cuts into the new leader.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I expect that in 1 or 2 years, those scars wont be noticeable at all. No reason to chop it specifically for this reason yet.

At some point this will be chopped back but I want to see what develops next few seasons first.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Very nice. Rubrums are such a pleasant tree. Here's one of my air layers that I accidentally snapped off early. Hoping it grows roots before it dries out. 270740

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Leaf looks weird for Rubrum.
I have a bunch of Rubrums starting up too.
What are you plans?

I dont chop before winter, not saying you can't, but I don't like wounding the tree as it goes dormant....basically a guarantee for some dieback.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, im not chopping now. Im expecting its rubrum because it was under my japanese maple with all the other rubrum seedlings. If it isnt, I would be surprised. We'll see what the leaves look like next year.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Yeah, im not chopping now. Im expecting its rubrum because it was under my japanese maple with all the other rubrum seedlings. If it isnt, I would be surprised. We'll see what the leaves look like next year.
Ebihara in the future?
I plan to Ebihara several of mine....when the time comes.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a few so when I get the root plane where I want it, there's a good chance Ill try an ebihara.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Leaf looks weird for Rubrum.
I have a bunch of Rubrums starting up too.
What are you plans?

I dont chop before winter, not saying you can't, but I don't like wounding the tree as it goes dormant....basically a guarantee for some dieback.
Rubrums have a huge genetic range. Leaf shape can vary substantially. I'd say it's a rubrum judging by the light bark and the new growth is a dark red.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chopping a pencil thin seedling? Haha. Let that sucker grow wild. They are fun trees and a little frustrating too.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Idk. Maybe? Who knows. Its just like the other rubrums in buds, leaves, color, bark, etc. Do they hybridize readily?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Maples are promiscuous. It's why we have millions of JM cultivars in the trade.

Top Bottom