Acer Rubrum (Red Maple) #3

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
End of year. Still has some color. Looking ok but bud development is not as strong as other Rubrum which I have.

Training: 1yr
Width: .25
Height: 7"

Front:
20191110_172617.jpg

From right:
20191110_172638.jpg

Back:
20191110_172647.jpg

From left:
20191110_172654.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Still alive. Possible fronts. Dont know. Was slip potted last year...

20210423_190247.jpg
20210423_190236.jpg

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok, SO....If this is the scale you wanna keep it at, you need to defoliate quite frequently. Keeping big leaves around for very long is not doing you any favors.

Do not randomly decide it "needs vigor"; that will destroy your internode situation. Do not heavily fertilize. If thats in "dirt" then maybe not at all.

Based on your other threads, let me just say that it helps to have an agenda and go with it for a while. So if this is ramification-ville you need to mean it and defoliate into submission.

Otherwise its the same-old, same-old healthy, huge-leafed, rubrum in a pot.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I screw with seedlings every single year. They erupt out of my woodchips.

I love rubrums, but they need to be tamed.

Attachments

• 20211011_072451.jpg
    20211011_072451.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 42

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How often do you defoliate yours? Do you completely exfoliate or only the largest leaves? I partially defoliate my boxelder maple and it does seem to have a restraining effect. I held back somewhat this year in preparation for a hard chop, but will continue again after the first flush next year.

I have yet to update this one... will try to get to it tonight.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In spring thats all there is, obviously....the big leaves.

Provided you want to only maintain a situation, maybe try giving those big 6 weeks of life and then remove every leaf. For the rest of the year remove rebellious individual leaves as needed. Spring internodes are going to be big too. Consider early pinching.

You can see how variable the sizes can be in my picture. Leaf reduction is doable, but I suspect it requires being pretty bold about purging leaf size non-conformists.

ABCarve and VAfisher are the ones to really ask.

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
A piece of galvanized metal. I punch it with a number. It references the tree in my spreadsheet with notes on it.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Before and after. Hard cuts on developing material. Already have roots out the bottom from earlier in year repot.

Before:
20230514_121042.jpg

After:
20230514_121139.jpg

@Bonsai Nut, can you retitle "#3" to "#12" to match my own records. Think this is the last one with old numbers. Thanks.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good response so far!!
Great response actually. Is that because you cut it back to no foliage? I cut mine back about a week ago and no response yet, but I left a little foliage.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Great response actually. Is that because you cut it back to no foliage? I cut mine back about a week ago and no response yet, but I left a little foliage.

I think for very apically dominant or unbalanced deciduous trees that back bud readily, cutting back to nothing forces the tree to push everywhere at once equalizing the vigor.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You’re quite patient and have a good vision in mind. A good skill and talent to have. On species like this I tend to give up and return them to the woods for growing with the big ones.
@ABCarve's Acer Rubrum has been a big inspiration to me to stick with this species. I think it gets an unfair bad rap.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
@ABCarve's Acer Rubrum has been a big inspiration to me to stick with this species. I think it gets an unfair bad rap.
I admire your enthusiasm! I think your projects are a good way to learn and start understanding the species, however the size of trees you're working with are a bit small to stay in scale with the leaf size even when they are reduced. Acer rubrum is not a good candidate for shohin. If you're starting with just small stock and wanting it to grow into something larger I would recommend that you just let them grow in a larger pot to trunk up.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have some larger ones also, but im going to try to keep this one tiny!

Top Bottom