Acer Rubrum stratification of fresh seeds

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Is it necessary on seeds collected from the ground? From various sources scientific and hobbyist I’ve seen from a year to two years required without stratification to University of Washington saying they will sprout immediately.

I picked up a handful today from a tree with beautiful color and nice I think small leaves (1.5” on a full size tree, hopefully they’ll reduce) and wanted to maximize my germination rate. I’d appreciate any tips so that I can keep this tree propagating into the future.

I am also curious on air layering maples. There’s lots of how to’s on the site but are there any specifics just for maples? I have a perfect record so far air layering in general (except cypress) I think that’s going to take years to happen or it won’t work.) but wanted to see if there was anything extra I should know for maples.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last year I collected fresh seed and put them into the fridge with wet paper towels in zip lock bags. Within about 6-8 weeks I could see them start germinating in the fridge. I got at least 90% germination rate.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Just stick them into a pot filled with soil and almost all of them will germinate. I know from personal experience.
Sweet and you’re one of the closer people so that makes your opinion especially relevant! Thanks!!!

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sweet and you’re one of the closer people so that makes your opinion especially relevant! Thanks!!!
Glad to help. I don't have a photo handy, but I've got a pot on the bench with about 20 seedlings in it I sprouted last year from about that many seeds.

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Glad to help. I don't have a photo handy, but I've got a pot on the bench with about 20 seedlings in it I sprouted last year from about that many seeds.
Ironically my search found nothing but when I got the notification for this I was reading @Sean Walker ’s post. Lol I had just found it in the new section browsing.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’m glad some knowledgeable members jumped in on the seed part of your questions! It’s my first year growing seeds so next year I’ll be of more help ;) And as far as air layers I’ll be reading your post for help on that this summer👍🏼

BonjourBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
In my experience, acer rubrums sprout very easily from seeds as soon as they fall from the tree. No need to stratify. I've never tried to air layer one though.

Top Bottom