Acer top is dying

Matte91

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello guys.

I planted about 20 small acer palmatums in the ground in spring. And it seems like the top of the trees are dying.

Can you tell me whether its over or underwatering that usually causes the top to die back?

It has nothing to do with wind in this case. Because I left some of the acers in their originally pots and placed them in the same spot. And they are happy. They are all protected from wind.20230524_203335.jpg20230524_205802.jpg

Ininaatigoons

Shohin
Reaction score
Just a guess... If the pots which are elevated out of the ground are fine it is a case of over watering. Always check with your finger before watering. If it's dry an inch down it's time to water. Japanese maple need drainage and air to survive so the soil needs to dry a bit before watering. Always check with a finger if you don't have a meter to see if it's dry.
Also could it be fertilizer burn? Japanese Maples don't like fertilizer. Vertrees says in his book on Japanese Maple Cultivars and Cultivation, not to fertilize. Many of people say fertilize, but only lightly and only in the spring. There are many discussions on fertilizing in here that are good. I say if they're in the ground they should be fine without.
It could be disease. Usually disease is caused by improper watering which in Japanese Maple is usually overwatering causing fungal issues.
Looks pretty rough. I got my fingers crossed.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Wilted and dying leaves in spring are often caused by an infection in the trunk. Check the bark right down near the soil to see if there is any sign of black.
Here's another thread today with the problem - https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/shishigashira-with-black-on-trunk.60397/
As mentioned this is usually from roots staying wet through winter and early spring.

If no sign of black bark another possibility may be too dry but that is less likely where seedlings are growing in the garden as ground doesn't dry out as quick as pots.

Top Bottom