Acer triflorum - Good Bonsai Candidate?

Bostonbull

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One of my favorite ornamental landscape trees, along with Stewartia. The bark will stop you in your tracks and the leaves are unique as well.

Does this maple present a good Bonsai choice? Is it worth a shot if I can track one down for sale in a nursery?

Bostonbull

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Posted in wrong forum, how do I delete?

I know I know....FNG!!!!

Momiji

Seed
Reaction score
One of my favorite ornamental landscape trees, along with Stewartia. The bark will stop you in your tracks and the leaves are unique as well.

Does this maple present a good Bonsai choice? Is it worth a shot if I can track one down for sale in a nursery?
Have been growing Ac. Triflorum, Ac. Griseum, and Ac. Mandshuricum from seeds. They are few seeds germinated the first year, most of them the second year, few on the third year for Griseum, but most of Trif. and Mand. germinated the first year. They are partheoncarpic, so many seeds are empty. If grown in small pots with little soil, the leaves reduce their size. Another nice one in the family is Ac. Nikkoense (Maximowics), got it but from a garden center, not from seeds...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Frankly, not a good candidate for bonsai IMO.

Compound leaves are more difficult to deal with, reduce, than plain-leaved species. It's the same with Acer griseum : they're very similar, except for the bark. I have a specimen of both, but not for bonsai, as "patio plants".

Better try other species, native trees or species that have adapted to your local climate. You have nice maples in New England. I found this from a search engine :

https://www.massmaple.org/about-maple-syrup/make-maple-syrup/maple-tree-id/

Top Bottom