Acorns still viable?

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
To me, it looks like a Red oak based on bark coloration and what I can tell from the leaves.

You will need to stratify viable acorns for a winter season to get them to germinate. A single frost wont do it.

I leave mine in the fridge using the paper towel method. If you want you can also grow them by leaving them outside all winter protected from squirrels and see if they naturally germinate. Oaks will push a strong radicle for a decent amount of time before leaves appear so when you see the root tip, you can then transplant. I have tried root cutting the radicle as well but do not know how effective it is yet. Will do more experiments.

@B.uneasy Did they float or sink? @Potawatomi13, if you collect the acorns too early in the season, they will float. They will also float if affected by weevils. Floaters will not generally amount to anything. Ive noticed that leaving them out to dry for a week or so will influence the weevils to leave the acorn if they are present. You will see them dying somewhere close around the acorn with an exit hole. Float test works great and I use it all the time on gathered seeds.
Haha I've known about the whole float test thing for a long time. I discarded the ones that floated last week. The four that I currently have are sinkers. Do you think it would be effective to put them in the freezer instead od the fridge? Right now i have them in moist soik in the fridge.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Fridge between 32-38° is fine... theyll probably sprout early. If they do, take them out and put them in the brightest window you can find until temps outside are above freezing.

Top Bottom