Acquired 2 new trees...now what?!

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The extension service in my area gave away some native trees today. I have zero experience with bonsai and thought it would be cool to start my journey with some native species.

I wanted Red Maple (Acer rubrum) but they went quick so I got a Pond Cypress (Taxodium ascendens) and a Dahoon Holly (Ilex cassine).

They are in nursery pots.
They are both 36” tall.
See attached pic.

I live in NW Florida right near the Alabama state line, so it’s never really winter per se and we usually start to see new growth in February early March. Right now it’s mid to upper 70’s one week and 50’s the next. We will have a few more nights in mid to upper 30’s scattered about over the next month but we shouldn’t get any freezing temps.

My question is what do I do with these trees right now?
Cut them way back? If so how far?
Wire them?
Get them in training pots?
Nothing? If not now, then when?

I know you all get the same old noobie questions constantly but I’m suffering from analysis paralysis. I’ve watched countless videos and they all have trees at different stages in development so at this point it’s all just word soup

If these were trees or shrubs in my yard, I wouldn’t hesitate to cut them back hard right now before new growth occurs.
But these are young trees and to be used as bonsai so I’m not sure. Especially the cypress since I have no experience whatsoever with them. The holly I’m not so intimidated by since I have some limited experience with them (like most things around here, you can hack them to bits any time of year and they’ll keep growing back... Yaupon Holly will anyway).

I just need a bit of direction to get me started.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• 5440039D-A780-4729-80E1-12942F3B5C15.jpeg
    5440039D-A780-4729-80E1-12942F3B5C15.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 76

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The extension service in my area gave away some native trees today. I have zero experience with bonsai and thought it would be cool to start my journey with some native species.

I wanted Red Maple (Acer rubrum) but they went quick so I got a Pond Cypress (Taxodium ascendens) and a Dahoon Holly (Ilex cassine).

They are in nursery pots.
They are both 36” tall.
See attached pic.

I live in NW Florida right near the Alabama state line, so it’s never really winter per se and we usually start to see new growth in February early March. Right now it’s mid to upper 70’s one week and 50’s the next. We will have a few more nights in mid to upper 30’s scattered about over the next month but we shouldn’t get any freezing temps.

My question is what do I do with these trees right now?
Cut them way back? If so how far?
Wire them?
Get them in training pots?
Nothing? If not now, then when?

I know you all get the same old noobie questions constantly but I’m suffering from analysis paralysis. I’ve watched countless videos and they all have trees at different stages in development so at this point it’s all just word soup

If these were trees or shrubs in my yard, I wouldn’t hesitate to cut them back hard right now before new growth occurs.
But these are young trees and to be used as bonsai so I’m not sure. Especially the cypress since I have no experience whatsoever with them. The holly I’m not so intimidated by since I have some limited experience with them (like most things around here, you can hack them to bits any time of year and they’ll keep growing back... Yaupon Holly will anyway).

I just need a bit of direction to get me started.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks
Because of their size i would put in the ground and let them grow.

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Because of their size i would put in the ground and let them grow.
Thanks for the reply.
Not an option for me unfortunately.

So I’ll repot them in early Spring and begin the process of growing them out.

I’m assuming that the focus is on adding girth to the trunk during this time.
If I understand correctly then the best way to achieve trunk growth is to just let new growth occur for several weeks then prune to encourage more new growth and ramification. And rinse and repeat.

During this early phase, how much should I be worried about overcoming apical dominance and the natural tendency to grow tall? Should I also cut back the apex when pruning branches, or just let it continue to grow taller while encouraging more branching and foliage?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would up pot the cypress and keep it wet for a few years then when the trunk is thick enough for your tastes chop it. What style tree are you going for?

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I think the Pond Cyprus would be ideal for a formal upright and the Dahoon Holly would be ideal for broom style.

Long way to go obviously, but that’s the plan anyway. What do you think?

I have two white flowering dogwoods and a Chinese magnolia in my yard that I’m going to take some cuttings from and try to start to develop for informal uprights.

I also have a couple of varieties of azaleas in the yard (soil here is acidic and they love it) that I’ll take some cuttings from.
My mom has some beautiful wisteria and hydrangea in her yard that I’d like to take cuttings from and get going as well.
I think the Nikko Blue hydrangea would make a nice cascade.

Might as well have several going since I’m certain to ruin many of them in the process. 😁

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome aboard Bonsai Nut!

Congratulations on your first purchase. It’s kind of anti climatic when you start a new hobby and everyone tells you to wait and watch those little guys grow out, yet that’s what should be done unless you are aiming for shohin size, which the red maple isnt a great candidate.

Something a bit larger maybe, but the leaves want to grow out of proportion unless you want to chase them constantly, which detracts from the growth.

So let them grow for awhile until you do some research on these and basic maple and the cypress. There is lots of info on each in threads here. Use the search bar in the upper left to keyword search.

Also please double click your icon and enter your approximate location and growing zone so it’s on your icon on each post. That way we can provide advise quickly.

Welcome aboard again.

cheers
DSD sends

Huggz13

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Welcome aboard Bonsai Nut!

Congratulations on your first purchase. It’s kind of anti climatic when you start a new hobby and everyone tells you to wait and watch those little guys grow out, yet that’s what should be done unless you are aiming for shohin size, which the red maple isnt a great candidate.

Something a bit larger maybe, but the leaves want to grow out of proportion unless you want to chase them constantly, which detracts from the growth.

So let them grow for awhile until you do some research on these and basic maple and the cypress. There is lots of info on each in threads here. Use the search bar in the upper left to keyword search.

Also please double click your icon and enter your approximate location and growing zone so it’s on your icon on each post. That way we can provide advise quickly.

Welcome aboard again.

cheers
DSD sends
Thank you!

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
I had a dream last night that we sold Sadio Mane, Bobby Firmino and Mo Salah to Tottenham for £69 million. Proper nightmare. Welcome.

Top Bottom