Adair’s bench at Boon’s

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well, the one that’s most precious is not on that bench anymore, I brought it home after taking it to the National Show a couple years ago:

View attachment 218203

I acquired this tree at the end of my first year studying with Boon. I’ve wired, unwired, decandled, pulled needles, repotted, cut back, restyled, etc several times with this tree. It has its flaws that make me think about strategies on how to best hide them. It has its strengths that make me think about how best to display them. It’s a complicated tree, yet simple. It looks “cookie cutter”, but it’s not.

This tree has taken me from “wanna be” to expert with JBP.

After 6 years of refinement and increasing density, ramification, it had finally outgrown its styling, and needed a cut back last fall, a year ago. I finally got around to doing all the required tasks involved: removing wire and pulling old needles. Some of that wire had been on for 4 years or more!

So, here was the before cut back image:

View attachment 218209

An over grown branch before:
View attachment 218205

After:

View attachment 218206

Oh my!!!

In all, it got about half the foliage removed! (And this doesn’t include all the old needle pulling!):

View attachment 218207

And, the final image after cut back:

View attachment 218208

And a recent image all furry:

View attachment 218211

After the cutback, I’m letting it grow to get strong again. Next spring, I’ll up pot it into it old training pot, and begin the decandling regimen again. The cycle of rejuvenation will begin again!
And now, it has short needles again:

AE87C765-A733-4C1E-8850-419BDB486766.jpeg

Top Bottom