Adcocks dwarf Jwp pinus?

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
does anyone have experience with the adcocks dwarf JWP? I found one at a local nursery and the graft is almost invisible and perfectly strait. I was wondering if this is a variety that people use for bonsai?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Www.evergreengardenworks.com:

7280 Pinus parviflora 'Adcock's Dwarf'
This is one of the smallest White Pine dwarf cultivars. It has short (5/8 inch) needles and a very compact growth habit. It is a vigorous cultivar and one of the best survivors of this difficult species. They will make a very fine shohin bonsai. It has very distinctive long thin cream colored buds and lacks the red hairs of most of the other cultivars. Pictured is a one of our two year old grafts.
Specimen plants, inquire

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
I to have one of these I found neglected in a far corner of a nursery. Can anyone show me a good bonsai ( mature ) specimen that I can use for a model?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have one I have been waiting for to die for about twenty years. It just keeps plodding along and even though it seems to abandon foliage for no reason it starting to look like it might turn into something. I will post something on the tree as soon as I can.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
When I can. My abilty to post pictures is drastically curtailed for about a week.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
You can see why I thought this might have potential. Especially with the trunk development.
I hope Vance Woods thinks it is worth the trouble ( aleady wired it for the first time ).

Attachments

• Adcock 2 5-2016.jpg
    Adcock 2 5-2016.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Adcock 4 5-2016.jpg
    Adcock 4 5-2016.jpg
    440.8 KB · Views: 92

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leonard,

Some (most) of that wire isn't heavy enough to do anything.

Most of the wire that is heavy enough,isn't doing anything!

Wire is amazing stuff. It can not only bend branches down, it can make straight branches curve, form pads, add layers, create depth, make thin areas look full, add interest and character. You spend the time to apply it. Now use it!

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
You may remember I mentioned this was a nursery reject find.
It had no shape or balance ( because it sat under a larger tree out of the sun for I don't know how long ), drooped badly and had some breakage as well.
All I could think to do was prune it to try to return it to some kind of semblance of a cone shape as in nature. I am hoping for more fullness in growth in the spring to start a serious design plan.
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
Leonard

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It had no shape or balance ( because it sat under a larger tree out of the sun for I don't know how long ), drooped badly and had some breakage as well.
All I could think to do was prune it to try to return it to some kind of semblance of a cone shape as in nature. I am hoping for more fullness in growth in the spring to start a serious design plan.
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
Leonard
What does that have to do with bending wire?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
Leonard
What does that have to do with bending wire?

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks for your input.
Regards,
Leonard

To be honest I would have not wired it at all(Also your wire job is not great) - it looks week to me and pretty bare. I would have just fertilized heavily with organics and let it build strength. Also fuzzy up the root ball and got it into a pumice mix., as the soil looks to hold to much water. For me, the best path, looking at the pictures, is to get it strong. I have JWP 'Aoi' and there's a big difference between a tree ready for work and ones that not.

LeonardB

Shohin
Reaction score
To be honest I would have not wired it at all(Also your wire job is not great) - it looks week to me and pretty bare. I would have just fertilized heavily with organics and let it build strength. Also fuzzy up the root ball and got it into a pumice mix., as the soil looks to hold to much water. For me, the best path, looking at the pictures, is to get it strong. I have JWP 'Aoi' and there's a big difference between a tree ready for work and ones that not.
Perhaps you could post one of your wired trees so that I might learn ( this was only my second attempt and I thought fairly done for the shape that I wound up with ). So much was pruned away from the initial tree that I was concerned about damage ( so I replaced the hard pot soil with a fortified mixture for health).
Thanks for your input,
Leonard

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a tree I'm in the process of wiring:

image.jpeg

Only the two bottom branches are wired. The bottom left is wired and "set". The bottom right is wired and the "setting" is in progress. I did a bit more detail wiring on it and arranging after I took this picture.

Here are some detail pictures of the bottom left branch:

image.jpeg

As you can see, there are little curves in the branches. Rarely is any section straight.

image.jpeg

The background makes this one a little hard to see. The bottom branch is the same one. It used to look like the one above it.

Maybe this diagram will help:

image.jpeg

I'm wiring so that it resembles Fig. 13, with the multiple layers of mini pads on one branch.

Try to arrange your branches like this:

image.jpeg

Now, I know that my tree is far more advanced than yours right now, but you asked for a wiring example!

My point is, you have wire on the tree. It looks like you may have pulled some branches down. But you should use the wire to put curves in the branches, too. Left and right, up and down.

My tree is a formal upright. Straight trunk. The branches should be mostly straight. Only little curves look good.

On trees with curved trunks, the branches should be as curvy as the trunk!

Top Bottom