Add organics to new soil mix?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I've decided to put a new mix together for repotting season. Up until now I've been using 2:1 8822 & grit or bonsai jack universal mix. This new mix is 2:1:1 large grit DE, lava rock, and pumice. Should I add some pine bark or sphagum for water retention or would it be fine as is considering I can water mornings and late afternoon?

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've decided to put a new mix together for repotting season. Up until now I've been using 2:1 8822 & grit or bonsai jack universal mix. This new mix is 2:1:1 large grit DE, lava rock, and pumice. Should I add some pine bark or sphagum for water retention or would it be fine as is considering I can water mornings and late afternoon?

Don’t know if I can answer your question, but may I ask what brand is the “large grit DE” or where do you source it from? My gut feeling is that your soil should be fine given that DE is half the mix though I would probably up the amount of DE for any deciduous trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don’t know if I can answer your question, but may I ask what brand is the “large grit DE” or where do you source it from? My gut feeling is that your soil should be fine given that DE is half the mix though I would probably up the amount of DE for any deciduous trees.

It's DE that @milehigh was getting rid of a couple months back. No idea the brand, just know it's much bigger grit than 8822 or Turface.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I like to have some organic in the mix to aid in water retention for deciduous trees and It also helps mycorrhizae to flourish.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I use some aged pine bark organic in my substrate to have moisture retention that I know about. You find mixtures that have organic and those that do not. I use it because it works for me in my experience, watering, climate in all seasons and my deciduous trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I like to have some organic in the mix to aid in water retention for deciduous trees and It also helps mycorrhizae to flourish.

@Cofga looks like you're in NC, so probably have a general climate like mine. What organic components do you like to use?

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I buy Nature’s Helper at Lowes, let it dry, then sift to 1/8-1/4” fraction. My basic mix is 4 pts pumice, 3 pts hadite, 2 pts sifted bark. It says it is composted forest products which I suspect means all the branches, twigs, bark, etc. that wasn’t hauld off for pulp or other uses went into a big compost pile. I adjust the amount of organic based on how much water retentoin the tree needs. Pines get less and hornbeam get more amd so on.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like adding bark to my mixes. I get Douglas fir bark, seedling grade from my orchid growing supplies vendor. FirstRays.com for mail order.

Pines, pretty just inorganic mix. Maybe 10% bark, just a little something to feed mycorrhiza.

Deciduous, at least 30 to 40% bark.

Water loving conifers like Hinoki and Spruce, 20% bark.

8822 DE is too fine grained, I use the coarser grades. I don't use a lot of DE. It holds a lot of water.

Pumice is my main component, usually near half of the mix.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use half lava and half D E. for every tree.
I only need to water once per day.
Even the hottest days here.

Top Bottom