Added 2 BIG Boxwood & 4 Ilex to my collection :D

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Late afternoon yesterday, on my way back from a (construction) project site visit, I passed by a house that (I believe) is being remodeled. The huge dumpster full of debris and 2 workers encouraged me to stop and ask if the hedge will be removed as well. They told me yes, but it will be cut with a chainsaw tomorrow (today) and gave me permission to dig them up, informing me that they cannot wait and by the following day, the plants will be removed.

My wife and myself went back after work and tried to dig them up but below the top soil is solid caliche and very hard. We only managed to collect two (in almost 2 hours)...but both the biggest boxwood in my collection now. One have approximately 9" base multi-trunk/clump...the other is about 6" base. The hedge was obviously neglected and have a lot of dead branches...the ones I got only have a few leaves but I believe will readily bounce back with proper care. Just plain watering should do these plants wonders.

There were ten (10) more, a bit smaller but still substantial sized that (with heavy heart) I had to leave behind with my wife's insistence...but wisely so since it is getting late. Those will also be more difficult to remove since they are planted against the wall. The ones we got are next to a walkway and we can work all around them.

BTW, I also picked up 4 Ilex (Yaupon Holly) that was pre-dug last week on a re-landscaping project. Problem is they must be out in full TX heat for 30-48 hours drying bare root before I got to them. The biggest have a 6" base or so. I am excited for those too and hope/pray they survive.

Note that the base of these are all still buried/hidden.

Boxwood #1 - with approximately 6" base
P1120668.jpg

Boxwood #2 - with approximately 9" base
P1120675.jpg

Ilex/Yaupon Holy #1
P1120685.jpg

Ilex/Yaupon Holy #2
P1120690.jpg

Ilex/Yaupon Holy #3
P1120692.jpg

Ilex/Yaupon Holy #4
P1120694.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Congrats! Hope they make it. The first ilex looks great, first box has plenty of potential too.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
set these on some boards or bricks or something if you haven't already. They won't drain as well sitting on a concrete slab.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks. Most of the ilex actually have nice trunks...just buried deeper for now hoping to grow more roots.

Both boxwood are still super busy and much taller than I wanted but it is hard to chop boxwood due to the need to leave foliage at the ends to prevent die back. The ilex I am not worried much...if only they were freshly collected. I left a lot more branches than needed in case some of them are dead or dying.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
set these on some boards or bricks or something if you haven't already. They won't drain as well sitting on a concrete slab.
Thanks. They are on steel shelvings now. That is only for picture taking. ;)

The biggest boxwood will remain on the ground in the trash bag until I get a big enough container (hopefully tomorrow).

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
my concern is that without an air gap between the bottom of those tubs and whatever they sit on the water won't be able to run out from underneath them. great material. should be fun

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
I got a great deal on these same shelves... I just need to locate the some cheap legs. SAYYYY How'z about you send that first ilex my way... I will pay for shipping...

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
After reducing the root ball another 25%, boxwood #2 is now repotted to similar sized tub as boxwood #1. A bit more weight and I might break my back ...or get a hernia. :mad: I better start collecting smaller plants!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks guys!

I am happy to report that Ilex #1, #2, & #3 have buds now! :)

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Boxwood #2 is so high...it is about 6 feet tall (on top of shelf) that some birds use it as a perch sometimes. The downside, they poop on my tree (free fertilizer?) and sometimes leave partially eaten lizard. LOL

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am glad to hear someone else brings home trees in trash bags as well!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Boxwood update pic. I wasn't able to get a pic of the largest but here is my 2nd largest. The base is probably 6" (estimate) :D

View attachment 35728

Here is an update yaupon pic also.
View attachment 35730 View attachment 35729

...and another I managed to snap pics of.
View attachment 35731 View attachment 35732

BTW, in case you are wondering...they do look like pom-poms...not intentional but part of my training technique. I just come back and thin the branches later. Faster to thicken branches and build ramification the same time...easier for me to do it that way. ;)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
These all look very healthy. The one above this reply, post 17, looks to have amazing potential. I think you will get easier and probably quicker results from the trees with one trunk. The trees you have with 2 trunks, may take a bit longer simply because you will have to coordinate the branching and foliage on both trunks. In doing so, you may have to grow taller trees to get them to have balanced images. Another good thing here is that the trees do not have very big root balls for their size. So on the first repots, you might be able to get them into appropriate size bonsai pots. Which means that the roots will be trained within a couple/ few years after collection. However, the foliage is a different story. Just a heads up. Don't be fooled by the trees new foliage and silhouette that the image is even near ready. Here's the explanation why... Even though these trees are/will produce full silhouettes, everything has to be organized and structured for the future and health of the tree. This includes removing what is not needed, wiring main and young branches in place and opening sections up for light an air. Next, when more sub branching develops, those will need to be wired. By doing these things, you will have a much healthier and easier to maintain tree. One thing you don't want is a tree where you have to end up cutting in places that you shouldn't just to keep a nice silhouette or having sections that die off due to cluttered foliage and branches.

Everything is looking good so far. Going at a very good pace. I think, given this pace and your growing season. You might be able to pull off a rough and nice image in the 2-3 years with these. Of course, it will still take a few years to refine it and the tree might present better options to you so you might change you mind about things.

Rob

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Rob.

I know about branch building...most of these have that already...just need to thicken now and I am about to let these grow wild. I do the reverse than the common approach. I pinch initially...get some branching and movement, then thicken with sacrificial branches. Later, chop back and start pinching again.

FYI, these were recently reduced (last week) by more than 50% foliage wise. That is why you see this silhouette and pom-pom...it is just for this development phase. The branches will come out/displayed later :)

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Rob.

I know about branch building...most of these have that already...just need to thicken now and I am about to let these grow wild. I do the reverse than the common approach. I pinch initially...get some branching and movement, then thicken with sacrificial branches. Later, chop back and start pinching again.

FYI, these were recently reduced (last week) by more than 50% foliage wise. That is why you see this silhouette and pom-pom...it is just for this development phase. The branches will come out/displayed later :)

In reality, pinching is going to hinder what you are going for, that is, quick results. Pinching slows down and weakens growth. For the most part, bonsai that are near finished or "finished, are pinched, not when they are in early training stages. I only say this first, for the health of the tree and second for what you want. That is fast results. Pinching is going to slow down your progress. Just something to consider.

Rob

Top Bottom