Added some movement to juniper cascade.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Give me an apex to latch onto visually... In this photo it looks like you gave your tree a flat top :) Otherwise I really like the movement you added.

Don't forget that all the ends of foliage on your descending branch need to float upwards, as if the tree is reaching for the light, but gravity is pulling the main branch down. This is especially important on your terminus, which should never grow down.

I know you didn't wire the descending branch, but I am putting it out there as what comes to my eye first...

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It's a bad angle shot. The descending branch should be bent bit more upwards I agree. However it is wired sinuous and doesn't show and I'm having a bitch of a time with downloading from camera with the Windows 10 computer. The old W7 was easy and downloaded via a USB cord.
This one takes using the damn CARD inserted and I'm not familiar enough with it. I see the flat top and will work on that. It looks less flat in reality.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Part of that flat looking top is a forward moving branch that also shows badly in the shot.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Got a couple new pix. Might show a bit better. Also turned up the end.

Attachments

• P1040509.JPG
    P1040509.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 108
  • P1040508.JPG
    P1040508.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 83

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I will take shitty pix of your trees for very reasonable prices.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah the pics worse but the image seems much better!

Fan!

Sorce

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Okay, this is it! NO MORE !!
Yes, I'd like some more slant in the trunk but that's for next year.

If these pix don't show it, it goes to the spider mites. :eek:juniper1.jpgjuniper2.jpgjuniper3.jpg

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Mike, I liked the very first image, just remove the top branch (apex) entirely!

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Adair, funny you should say that.
At the club on Tuesday, there erupted almost a fight over one of the honchos suggesting exactly that and another suggesting ...using.... the top in the other cascade.

I'm uncertain.

Here's some virts.
One completely off and the other cut back. Maybe carved afterward.
Or

????????

o_O:eek::oops::confused:;):(

Attachments

• test no top.jpg
    test no top.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 35
  • test 2.jpg
    test 2.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 35

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike, I liked the very first image, just remove the top branch (apex) entirely!

I agree. I do not understand why people on growing a helmet on top of a cascade. You are not growing an informal upright.

Also, these trees are apically dominate, the tree will put most of its growth towards the top, and the main cascade will stop growing.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I agree. I do not understand why people on growing a helmet on top of a cascade. You are not growing an informal upright.

Also, these trees are apically dominate, the tree will put most of its growth towards the top, and the main cascade will stop growing.
Here’s a JBP cascade I recently repotted. It needed it! The old soil was holding too much water!

BD2BCF57-35F7-421C-9B5F-2234018370FB.jpeg

The milk crate didn’t hold the pot level, sorry! (That’s why the pros use beer crates! Lol!)

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Then, without a helmet, wouldn't a DOUBLE cascade also draw the growth into it?

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Interesting. I was watching some old Japanese dude's video the other day and he specifically said that a cascade starts with an upright branch. I'm guessing this is something bonsai people fight about regularly. lol

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Interesting. I was watching some old Japanese dude's video the other day and he specifically said that a cascade starts with an upright branch. I'm guessing this is something bonsai people fight about regularly. lol
You can have an upright portion, or not. If you do, it’s more of a “formal” cascade.

My point was that it’s not necessary. If you have material that naturally has a nice apex, go for it. If you don’t, don’t force one. Even if it’s not a “formal” cascade, you still need to develop an “apex”. On my tree, once I get it back healthy, I’ll do some adjusting to show an apex.

As an aside, unless the tree is something like a Procumbens juniper, it’s always a challenge to keep the lowest part of the cascade healthy. Especially if there is a portion of the tree growing “above the rim”.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm putting the pot upright to water, but after watering I am keeping it on a tilt where the cascade part is higher and exposed to more sun.

Top Bottom