Added value in our trees....surprised

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So today I was offered 200$ for a tree that was 6$ a year and a half ago when I bought it.

IMG_20210222_183126.jpg JMK_0960.jpg
I rejected the offer, and inmediatly was offered 300$....Finally convinced him I don't sell trees, as they are a part of me....Maybe give away to a friend, but never sell it.
I know value and price are not the same thing as price is what someone is willing to pay...but I'm a bit surprised.
I spent 12$ in a pot, maybe 3$ in soil, and what is more valuable (to me), a year and a half of my attention, for wich I really would pay and not charge.
So all in all about 19$. If I do the math this an excesive return rate....
When an investment is done, if it increases its value in a 4% yearly, it will double in a 18 years period , if it is a 10% it will double in 7 years.....
So is it bonsai a good business? I have always believed (and still believe) that it was a ruinous business, and that only the love of trees makes some decide on it as a means of livelihood.
That's what surprise me....people can get very crazy for a whim.
I guess some of you have had this level of surprise at an outrageous offer....tell us your experience....

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You did a nice job with the tree and I'm not surprised at all that someone would offer you $300 for it. I'd venture to say that folks would pay even more here in the US for that.

The only way to make money in bonsai is probably in bulk sales and that necessarily dictates to a lower quality. For shits and giggles, visit Brussels' Bonsai website and see what people are charging for moderately worked bonsai that are more mass produced.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That year and half of work and attention is the valuable part. Nice job! Time is money.

If you think about it more from a tree-growing/styling professional's point of view (rather than an investment point of view) doing some quick math, you would need to maintain, work on, and sell at least 100-200 or so of such trees per year to afford living expenses in even medium cost of living places in the USA. Not to mention how to account for the occasional diseased / sick / damaged / dead tree that inevitably happens in our bonsai realm.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is well stated^^^^
it looks better from the outside looking in............... still as a hobby, you can enrich your life and sometimes you wallet.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
My question is.... Was the person offered $300 has some knowledge in bonsai? No offense but i wouldn't be paying for that tree for 300 or 200. I can be biased in the sense that I DON'T like juniper of any kind.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can be biased in the sense that I DON'T like juniper of any kind.
Completely understand that, but that kinda steps all over your credibility. I am not into junipers either, but the fact is there are many people who would pay $200-$300 for that plant. He has done a very good job of developing it.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My question is.... Was the person offered $300 has some knowledge in bonsai? No offense but i wouldn't be paying for that tree for 300 or 200. I can be biased in the sense that I DON'T like juniper of any kind.
No offense, but you really don't know too much. This is not a juniper

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
It is a hobby of opportunism.

I was offered $500 for a tree by my bandmate who needed a last-minute gift for his mom who dabbles in bonsai. I had just gotten this beech a few months prior for $200 and could've used the money at the time, but I was stoked on this tree and looking forward to many years together. I also think his mom woulda killed it.

Regarding growing at scale for a living, I have the space for it and certainly enjoy the work, but no real interest in quitting my day job to try to make a buck developing trunks to sell. I'll keep my favorites and sell the culls to support my hobby.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Is it a Cypress, I like it. its a pleasing, natural image, im not a conifer expert but some refinement could bring it up a notch too. But great work, from what you started with. Looks like unnassuming nursery material.

a couple deadwood jins sticking out the top would look cool too

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought a Mugo that had a nice fat single trunk on it from a nursery for $20. Put it in an auction a year later, initial styling and repot only, hoping to get $50 for it and it sold for $165.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Are you kidding me? There are trees right now at Wiggerts that look 10 times inferior to Fidurs tree. I can't tell what it is by those pictures... maybe a cryptomeria Japonica or dwarf hemlock.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most of us here has some knowledge of bonsai so my question... would YOU buy that tree for 200 or 300 bucks? Am not talking about how great Fidur has transformed it from nursery stock to what it is right now.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of us here has some knowledge of bonsai so my question... would YOU buy that tree for 200 or 300 bucks? Am not talking about how great Fidur has transformed it from nursery stock to what it is right now.
I would if I had the money.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd give ya $50, $40 if you make me take the rock!

A rather serious joke that is meant to bring light to the situation and not leave @namnhi alone in honesty.

Important to note that I am highly specific about things that picture doesn't show, which gives me pause at the number of folks willing to drop 3 on this.

As a Blessedly Frugal and Highly Educated Consumer and similar practitioner, even without the numbers listed, it would have been rather easy to figure out the costs involved. The signature line also wouldn't go unnoticed.

I honestly don't think, to answer the business question, that this would be a sustainable endeavor. As you probably lose 60% of buyers with the rock alone, 10% more with the pot, and 20% more at that price range. Then that remaining 10%, if they learn just enough to keep it alive, will probably learn how easy it would be for them to do it themselves, which leaves repeat customers probably 80% gone.

Shit shit Meow meow.

I bet someone is already typing BS because they won't make it to the end.

I think of you were to keep it for 2 more years, doing everything in your power to lead it to perfection, you could sell it for $600 to a much larger and more sustainable customer base.

I stand in encouragement of your endeavor.

But I also can not leave my stance, of this belief that, greed(not calling you a sinner) and impatience (again just as all humans are) leads to the WORLD bonsai scene, it's entire capacity for bringing deep joy, about half of what it could be.

I would have sold it for $100 with no guilt and no hesitation. I believe the returned blessings is what builds sustainability. Sustainability is worth $200 all day IMO.

"Do what's best for you And the group" John Nash.

The world in it's current state is a perfect representation of why this is so important.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The group includes the guy who sells that guy his toolset that he can afford since he saved $200 bucks.

Then that return blessing may come back to you in a deal with the tool maker which could bring much more value than $200.

Eh, it's easier to lose the 80% than it is to gain the 20% that will continue to feed you.

Sorce

Top Bottom