Adding holes....?

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anything wrong with just adding the drain holes needed to a porcelain container....? I bought one at Goodwill to see if I could drill the holes and I had no issues there...So I know it can be done just not sure if there is any downfalls or types of pots not to use....?

Brian

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I do it all the time with my tiny trees. Usually, you have to watch the drainage, however. Few porcelain dishes/bowls have legs, so the bottoms of the new pot sit right on the table, getting in the way of drainage from the new hole.

These two (Trident maple and J. procumbens) are both in Japanese teacups.

Attachments

• mame ACER_00B.JPG
    mame ACER_00B.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 3-12 tall mini 2.JPG
    3-12 tall mini 2.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 53

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've done it many times. You have to have the right bit though and you have to keep it cool. If you have an earthen ware pot you just need a masonry bit. If it's porcelain you need a diamond bit and if you fill the container with an inch of water, it should work. If the bit gets too hot it could destroy the pot.

It's a good way to get a porcelain bowl for a reasonable price!

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
Walmart has terra cotta saucers aproximately 1 Inch across for 22-27 cents. I use those to prop up my bowls and it works well.

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have access to all kinds of diamond bits at work, but I just a 3/4" grinding stone bit for this one....Drilled/grinded 3 holes with no issues....I do have a drill press but just used my hand drill for this one. Water is a must to keep it cool.

Brian

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I did this last year. I found it was helpful to get a big popcorn bowl to place the water and bowl in while you're drilling.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nothing wrong with that at all, my Wife has brought me many items over the years and says "do you think this would break?" and I just somehow figure it out. I did tell her last time we need to go to NY to pickup my drill press if she brings home another one :p

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Now I just need spring to get here so I can put something in them....I picked the wrong time of year to take up the Bonsai hobby.

Brian

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do it all the time with my tiny trees. Usually, you have to watch the drainage, however. Few porcelain dishes/bowls have legs, so the bottoms of the new pot sit right on the table, getting in the way of drainage from the new hole.

These two (Trident maple and J. procumbens) are both in Japanese teacups.

Cool little trees!

Top Bottom