adding live moss to bonsai

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
I read some where that adding live moss to the top of the pot can help the humidity. I found a large rock with a lot of moss. Now I'm just wondering how to transplant it and which plant to put it on. Any help would be very much appreciated! Also how to i care for the moss?

Thanks!

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
A lot of times moss is just used for shows, though it does form around tree by itself. You can add it to any tree really but just make sure it dosnt keep the soil to wet, especially in winter. What a lot of people do in the hot months is place chopped sphagnum on top of the soil and moss will usally spring from that. To answer your question, a plastics grocery bag will work or a cooking tray. Also place the moss in bright shade and keep from drying all the way out. I would Google it as some mosses like to be more wet and some dryer.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This works good too.I used the method on some trees in training.It grew in 15 days.Watch to not over water.It sometimes grows out of control too.My trees in the photos were only in about an inch of soil on top of inverted clay saucers,so I used the moss to retain moisture.It worked great.
Just give some lumps of moss a haircut with some snippers and use the fresh clippings to mix 50/50 with some shredded orchid moss.You do it in early spring at repotting.
You can collect the fresh moss now though with a spatula and just put in a bonsai pot over some potting soil to keep over winter outside.The collected moss will keep best over winter with protection from flooding water,but always moist and in sun.Here is the link

http://crataegus.com/2012/07/05/the-moss-myth/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

jadednightdragon

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for for the info!

I haven't watered my bonsais in a good couple days because they have just been keeping the water. And I got my soil from a bonsai place. So maybe I will put on the moss in the late spring when it starts warming up more...

Also I bring my three in when the temp goes below 60F (Which isn't often, seeing I'm in Florida). When I do bring them in the one bonsai seems to get a whitish fuss on it. It goes away once it's placed outside. But I'm wondering if that's from cool temps and moisture? I live in a 5th wheel and we don't keep the coach more than 70F. How can I avoid this fuzz?

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
One of the things I'm conscious of is that often when the entire pot's surface is covered with moss the water often runs over the surfce and out of the pot.

So I often end up removing about one half an inch along the rim to allow the water to soak in.

I find when repotting the surface roots are closer to the top of the pot, when I allow the moss to grow and cover. I think that's because the water does not penetrate as deep. So I think one has to be aware and careful.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dick,

That effect is compounded when trees are improperly potted to begin with. Many times you see bonsai planted on a mound, then the moss covers the mound.

Bonsai should be potted so that the soil is level. (As a general rule.)

Top Bottom