Adding Mycorrhiza to my mix.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm also reminded of a thought I had a little while back.
Fungus gnats feed on the fungal growth that happens when organic matter starts to decompose. If we want mycorrhizal fungal growth, this stuff is not immune to being eaten by the gnats, then aren't the gnats a good sign so long as we're not seeing symptoms of pathogenic fungi?
Sure, they're annoying, but mostly harmless in and of themselves, right?

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It seems questionable if inoculation will actually work. The soil will already be occupied with microorganisms. Then you are introducing one that you think is better. One issue may be that mycorrhiza could be very species-specific. And the product you have doesn't work with your bonsai species. Another is that you add your innoculant, but they never get a foothold because they are out-competed by what is already there.
Same kinda with Bacillus thuringiensis. The third is that culturing the microorganism so it can be harvested as a product may change the beneficial qualities. Your wild-type mycorrhiza is a strain that has always lived in say pine tree roots.
But now you get a product that was cultured for many generations. It was indeed first isolated from pine roots and determined to be superior to the average mycorrhiza. But culturing it made it grow on a growth medium for many many generations. It would be a completely different selection pressure than living in actual nature in the soil. I don't know if they can culture mycorrhiza, but for sure with Bacillus this is an issue.

These things are now added to the higher priced potting soils, which kinda justifies the pricy nature of the more exclusive product. But in a way, it is just expensive potting soil for people willing to spend more money so they feel better because it is for a special plant. If there are actual studies that plants perform way better with added microbiome, or more basic that indeed the microbiome that you innoculate with actually becomes dominant.
It would make most sense to inncoculate when you have currently a sterile environment. Just saying 'nature can do it by itself' is true, but that doesn't mean we can't improve. In the same way, just because something is for sale and expensive, that doesn't mean it actually works.

It reminds me of the gut microbiome (and I guess skin microbiome also), so my guess is similar principles operate for soil microbiomes.

Last edited:

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I know adding mycorrhiza makes ME feel better, whether it does any good or not, it makes ME feel better. I bought inoculum from Paul Stamet's company, Fungi Perfecti and use that. Whether it works or not, I don't know. There are enough "wild" naturally occurring spores that I can't tell if the myco in pots is from commercial spores or naturally occurring spores. I suspect it is true that the commercial spores don't work.

Last edited:

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I know adding mycorrhiza makes ME feel better, whether it does any good or not, it makes ME feel better. I bought inoculum from Paul Stamet's company, Fungi Perfecti and use that. Whether it works or not, I don't know. There are enough "wild" naturally occurring spores that I can't tell if the myco in pots is from commercial spores or naturally occurring spores. I suspect it is true that the commercial spores don't work.
I hear ya Leo! It’s the “I don’t know “ and “ it makes me feel better “ , that keeps people coming back. Kinda like the superthrive thread. 🤔🤔

Reaction score
I hear ya Leo! It’s the “I don’t know “ and “ it makes me feel better “ , that keeps people coming back. Kinda like the superthrive thread. 🤔🤔
Typical nowadays....touchy-feely instead of simple logic.
Damn, bring back the old days...atleast things made sense back then (well,more sense than they do now anyway) 🤡😒

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I added the mycorrhiza mix you can buy to the soil when I repotted one of my pines once. I kinda overdid it. Within a few days, the pot looked like it had cotton candy growing in it. 😆

Top Bottom