Adelgid on Japanese White Pine

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all

I noticed some white stuff on my Japanese White Pine which has worsened in recent weeks. I have done a bit of reading on the forums and it looks like this is adelgid, but would someone be able to confirm if possible?

If it is Adelgid would the product in the link below (Provanto Ultimate Bug Killer) be the right treatment?

Thanks!
Fred

Attachments

• 20200720_121854.jpg
    20200720_121854.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 69

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I recently dunk soaked a mugo, this led to it sapping drips from the tips. If those drops dried they may look similar.

Don't spray till you're certain, you've waited this long, too long, and they haven't died.

Daily inspection will prevent it from ever getting this bad.

Setting an alarm for next year around 2 weeks ago will remind you to search for them before they get bad, since these Pests are usually seasonal.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would check with someone on your side of the pond.
Also, I would be reluctant to spray anything without an ingredients label.
In the states I use a product called Safari, which works well for me.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anything so Visible deserves mechanical removal.

Few things get you more intimately involved in your trees.

I hope people get stung by wasps while spraying!😋😂

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spraying Safari for me gets rid of all the pests before you see them. It is also great as a soil drench for adelgids on my landscape hemlocks.

Fridge

Yamadori
Reaction score
Anything so Visible deserves mechanical removal.

Few things get you more intimately involved in your trees.

I hope people get stung by wasps while spraying!😋😂

Sorce

I would certainly rather not spray anything! Is it possible to just scrape it off then?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Spraying Safari for me gets rid of all the pests before you see them. It is also great as a soil drench for adelgids on my landscape hemlocks.

I will try this product due to your gleaming recommendation.

🤓

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would certainly rather not spray anything! Is it possible to just scrape it off then?

I haven't had the pleasure.

I would certainly try it before anything else.

Perhaps give it a go, observe.

I would only fear all the holes left, if there are, where it may be better to smash them dead and leave them covering the holes, rather than pull them and leave the tree "bleeding".

Maybe have some cut paste handy?

I'm speculating, but I believe anything is better than spraying!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will try this product due to your gleaming recommendation.

🤓
It is about $140 on Amazon. I expect the bottle will last me at least 3 years. It is a favorite for commercial greenhouse growers and that is how I came to it. It handles all my insect and mite problems and has no smell at all.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with this but I have well over a thousand plants in containers and several hundred spend the winter inside.

I am ok with anyone's level of the following (irresponsible), but I think, just like it was irresponsible for OctoMom to get tagged by an Octopus, it is irresponsible for us to have so many plants.

It is a bit selfish if we look passed our "rights".

I'm my superselfishness, I choose to enjoy fewer plants, that much more. That much more, if just the time spent spraying. Since it is not intimate, just a drive-by for bugs. Most of them innocent.

I prefer face to face stabbings.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is a business. Not much else I can do when retired. Every cutting is potential cash. And who knows, you may have one of mine some day.

A pot sure! Better get your ass back to the wheel!

To me it's just Math.

The equation that makes it more profitable to NOT spray is difficult, but it is still very possible.

Once figured out, I bet you have more time for potting and more profit.

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A pot sure! Better get your ass back to the wheel!

To me it's just Math.

The equation that makes it more profitable to NOT spray is difficult, but it is still very possible.

Once figured out, I bet you have more time for potting and more profit.

Sorce
Funny, I am cleaning out the studio today. Hooked up a larger kiln a couple months back and I have a new to me Lockerbie wheel to set up. Brand new large slab roller too, though I admit I love the process of throwing slabs on the concrete floor. Too hot to fire now but I am staging for winter. No AC in shop, can't really afford it now.
Anyway, I don't spray often but I spray when I need to. I am a one man show here trying to grow some pre-bonsai for the future. Social Security is just not going to do it all.
Only thing I really need is more energy ...............
Still, it keeps me out of trouble.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Horticultural oil will take care of adelgid as well and is a much lower impact pesticide. Just don’t spray over 85f; though I have been advised by a lab that it is much less risky with the current more refined oils. I still err on the side of caution with oil sprays. Typically a summer application is a 1% solution, while dormant sprays are 2% and occasionally higher.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Horticultural oil will take care of adelgid as well and is a much lower impact pesticide. Just don’t spray over 85f; though I have been advised by a lab that it is much less risky with the current more refined oils. I still err on the side of caution with oil sprays. Typically a summer application is a 1% solution, while dormant sprays are 2% and occasionally higher.
This is true and I have used it for spot treatment on branches of landscape trees I could reach. I never had it on a bonsai.
Be prepared because you may have to just it fairly frequently to good good control. The spot treatments I did worked but the buggers did come back after several weeks.

Top Bottom