Adenium (Desert Rose) Caudex & Bonsai Process

Rachael

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello!

I would like to eventually take this double red adenium to the next level by expanding the caudex and to hopefully get some beautiful, fat side roots down at the bottom. The trunk tapers up at the top a bit too much for my liking.

I read that (in late spring) I could cut the roots flat at the bottom and dry it out.. then fix a flat piece at the bottom with wire to force roots to grow from the sides. Should I use a root growth hormone?

The scarring at the top is ugly to me... should I cut it off at the base of the scars and hope it sprouts more branches?

Also I'm worried because it looks like it may have had some grafting done to it. If I cut the top off I might lose whatever was grafted. Could I make anything grow from the scars? Are they even scars.. or eyes like a potato.. no clue. I've never worked with this plant before and I'm hoping for some insight.

My questions are...

Do you think there is a way to get rid of the scarring at the top from whoever hacked the hell out of it?

Can I force this to become similar to the reference picture?

Does anyone have suggestions on how to make it more appealing?

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2560.JPG
    IMG_2560.JPG
    190.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2575.JPG
    IMG_2575.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3203.JPG
    IMG_3203.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Root growth hormone does more than just help roots grow.. It also helps shoots on top elongate. That might not be the effect you want.
I'm not familiar with this species of plant, but it's always good to take into account that auxins have multiple effects on 95% of all plant species.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Adenium have only been temporary residents in my collection. I do think your scars are relatively minor compared to most I've seen. Your's is still small compared to the reference picture, the trunk should smooth out with time and as the tree grows. I do believe it is grafted, so do not cut back to below that constriction.

I would not recommend the hormone use.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You can take cuttings from a branch above the graft. I would allow the cuttings to air dry for a week or two before potting up. Cuttings above the graft will have the double red flowers, from below the graft flowers will most likely be single and less vividly colored.

Rachael

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Root growth hormone does more than just help roots grow.. It also helps shoots on top elongate. That might not be the effect you want.
I'm not familiar with this species of plant, but it's always good to take into account that auxins have multiple effects on 95% of all plant species.

That's good to know! Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. I don't want the top branches to get too long. After some research I found that if you cut the branches at the little notchlike crevases... that it allows for two more branches to form in its place. I hope that is the case... if so maybe I could just keep trimming the top branches before they get too elongated?

Rachael

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Adenium have only been temporary residents in my collection. I do think your scars are relatively minor compared to most I've seen. Your's is still small compared to the reference picture, the trunk should smooth out with time and as the tree grows. I do believe it is grafted, so do not cut back to below that constriction.

I would not recommend the hormone use.

Thank you for your input. I like the idea of the adenium because it is very low maintenance compared to my other trees. The flowers are so beautiful when they come out as well.

My double red is variegated too which adds more interest for me. Though, I'm hoping that it turns out to look more like a smaller version of the reference picture.

The reference picture is HUGE. Probably over 20 years old. If I could get that shape in a smaller scale... and if the scars smooth out that would be even better.

I want to cut the bottom of the root system off and then force it to grow side roots. It will be a long process that's for sure... I'm just hoping it doesn't die from the shock.

Next question: Should I wait another year to do this? Just to make use it has enough branch growth/leaf energy to sustain the root shock?

Last edited:

Rachael

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You can take cuttings from a branch above the graft. I would allow the cuttings to air dry for a week or two before potting up. Cuttings above the graft will have the double red flowers, from below the graft flowers will most likely be single and less vividly colored.

Leo,

Thank you for that info. Maybe when it gets older I will do just that... especially if I get a rogue long shoot.

I'm wondering if the grafted part has good root genetics... or if that's why it was grafted to one with better root quality.

Happy Holidays!

Top Bottom