Adjustments to the ignore function

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On this forum there is something called the ignore function. Appearently, it filters out all posts, comments, responses by users that have been put on "ignore" by the logged in user.

I realize this is way to popular a feature on the site to be ever removed, although I would be an advocate of it. (In normal life you do not ignore people you encounter. Why would you on here; I find it a fundamentally rude function).

In contrast to normal life, you cannot tell whether people ignore you or not. I have come to realize a number of people have put me on ignore. Interesting concept. Unfortunate that I can never ask them why they did that, nor try to find out what I do wrong and improve myself. But.. It takes a while before you realize: I am having a conversation with myself as the other person who you ask a question is not responsing.

My proposal: Can it be made visible in your profile which accounts are currently having you on ignore? Feels like that would be the fair thing to do to the users, be able to see who is ignoring them.

Thoughts?

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree. I wonder if the ignore feature extends to the DM. If not...that might be why it does not tell you who is ignoring you so you will not DM the person.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not knowing who is a moronic ignorer keeps them safe from retaliation. Since ignore is mostly to keep from being personally attacked.

Unfortunately, I am privy to situations where the attacks are more brutal than we see in the open, going into PM'S, other platforms, etc. Mostly on women, because some dudes are bitches with vaginas of their own.

You know how many things I've learned with conversations with myself?

The ones who ignore will always be the ones missing out.

We can't expose this information.

I think it is good practice, like Smoke has, to unignore people every now and then to see if they have changed.

There are more of us good than bad. We'll win.

Sorce

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
And I'm not talking because I'm afraid someone might see that I have ignored them, I actually share your opinion that ignoring should be done mentally and not "softwarelly"
Edit: I'm not sure that's your opinion, but is mine for sure 😆.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our friend @grouper52 (you alright feller?) talks about this realm of ones and zeros as it is. A realm of ones and zeros.
People offended by ones and zeros ARE sad.

Sorce

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
On this forum there is something called the ignore function. Appearently, it filters out all posts, comments, responses by users that have been put on "ignore" by the logged in user.

I realize this is way to popular a feature on the site to be ever removed, although I would be an advocate of it. (In normal life you do not ignore people you encounter. Why would you on here; I find it a fundamentally rude function).

In contrast to normal life, you cannot tell whether people ignore you or not. I have come to realize a number of people have put me on ignore. Interesting concept. Unfortunate that I can never ask them why they did that, nor try to find out what I do wrong and improve myself. But.. It takes a while before you realize: I am having a conversation with myself as the other person who you ask a question is not responsing.

My proposal: Can it be made visible in your profile which accounts are currently having you on ignore? Feels like that would be the fair thing to do to the users, be able to see who is ignoring them.

Thoughts?
I find it interesting that you are spending so much time and energy on this lately. How many people do you think have you on ignore?

As for "normal life" - if I encounter someone who is particularly offensive or obnoxious, I'll walk away and not interact with them. I'm happy to engage in a discussion on almost any topic but there are many people who are unable to express their viewpoints without becoming abusive. Why would I subject myself to that in real life? Why should I subject myself to it here?

BTW, if you want a perfect example of the reasons for an ignore function, look no further than the mangled thread about Telperion Farm.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
BTW, if you want a perfect example of the reasons for an ignore function, look no further than the mangled thread about Telperion Farm.
I've never put anyone on ignore, but that made me come really close...

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I find it interesting that you are spending so much time and energy on this lately. How many people do you think have you on ignore?
Me too! I have actually been thinking about it too. Why do I find this such an abrasive function. I guess it is really just a form of disrespect I cannot deal with. Brought up to not ignore other people, their needs and their ideas. It is what shaped me, and part of my core values :)

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would never use the ignore function. If I wanted to ignore someone I’d do it the same way as in person. See/hear their nasty comments and just choose not to respond. At least that way there is a chance to reconcile differences down the road.
For those who slap someone on ignore for a constructive criticism is sad. when you ask a question or for advice you have to be open to all answers, even those you might not want to hear.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Though of course I never use ignore on this site, I have used it a couple of times on others. The primary reason was that I found myself butting heads with the same person, over and over, and no matter what I posted, the person always seemed to show up with something stupid to say about my content. My threads would seem to always devolve into arguments... or else they would upset what was otherwise a peaceful evening hanging out chatting with friends. I put the person on ignore, left it for about six months, and then removed the ignore and amazingly I never seemed to have a problem with them again. I guess they had moved on to something else :)

The whole point of the "ignore" function is to put some of the control in the hands of the site user. I can't be all places at all times, and I prefer a very light touch when it comes to site moderation. So the ignore function puts control in your hands to turn off some content that (for whatever reason) you don't like. It doesn't get deleted, and you can return to it at any time, remove the ignore, and see what the other member had to say. But some times it is nice to simply step away from the fray for a day or two :)

I don't think it would be a good idea to let people know who was ignoring them. To what end? If they are ignoring you, its not like you can send them a PM and ask them why :) And the last thing I would want would be to create an environment where someone finds out that you are ignoring them, and they try to contact you via an intermediary, or through other means. No bueno.

Last edited:

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think it's all fine as it is.
The type of people that need an ignore function, need it for a reason.
I think this is because of three possible reasons:
1. Protection against others. - out of their power, harassment.
2. Protection against themselves. - to prevent themselves from making things worse.
3. Because they don't like to be treated the same way as they treat others. - the typical bully / spoiled child stuff.

I see 3 happen a lot. I like reflecting peoples writing style back to them, when they're in the 3 group, things always escalate.
But I also believe it's the least legit use of the ignore function; it forms an echo chamber of ones own truth.
People should be allowed to isolate, have a safe space. But if it's done for the wrong reasons, it only makes dealing with real life and the outside world harder for them. That's their choice and their consequences though.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I love the ignore function, and wish we had it on a forum I moderate. It would prevent many of the arguments and reprisal posts that we must referee. These things really do get out of hand, leading to someone complaining to a moderator. Then we must apportion blame, and take steps to separate the combatants. The ignore function makes life much easier for our fearless leader Bonsai Nut.

I do use the ignore function here, but very sparingly. I use it only when a real pattern develops in which I find a particular member's posts consistently annoying. I would never ignore someone because of one post, or a criticism I didn't like. In fact, I've never used it because of a post directed at me; my skin is thick. But bad treatment of other people truly bothers me, as well as posts that are incomprehensable.

Top Bottom