Adventure into the avant-garde

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
An interesting problem for sure and a shame about the pot, that last one was especially stunning

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
An ancient method of cutting marble from a quarry was to find a fissure, pound a wooden wedges into the crack and pour water on the wedges. The hydraulic pressure would swell the wood and crack the marble.

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
If the pot keeps developing a crack that stays spread open then I am thinking there is a glaze-body thermal expansion mismatch. As an experiment can you throw a cylinder with the same clay body and fire it unglazed for this tree?

I get that the tree exerts hydraulic pressure, but if the body is weakened it will crack easier. Many folks have wisterias in pots without issue.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If the pot keeps developing a crack that stays spread open then I am thinking there is a glaze-body thermal expansion mismatch. As an experiment can you throw a cylinder with the same clay body and fire it unglazed for this tree?

I get that the tree exerts hydraulic pressure, but if the body is weakened it will crack easier. Many folks have wisterias in pots without issue.
I would tend to agree.....however the first pot in this thread was a production pot I had for probably twenty years. Most of that time it was in service (with other trees) going through freeze/thaw cycles. The first year the wisteria is in it.....it blows up and each following year the same thing happens to the new pot. I've used this glaze/body many times without any similar problem. I'm putting my money on less watering/fertilizer. I got some new ideas for a pot design as well. Could be fun! Thanks for the suggestion!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s the tentative replacement. 7/16” wall thickness.

View attachment 411146
It looks great with the glaze, but I think the pot bare is absolutely stunning. Maybe a bit burnished with some earth tones, or not. It almost looks like a mat porcelain from the photo.

Edit: catching up on th thread after posting. The fine walls look great, but maybe you could reinforce with thicker walls under the soil line?

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So this year there will be no tray of water/fertilizer to suck up every morning. It'll just get watered and fed like everything else. If it breaks this new pot you'll find it in "stuff for sale" along with three pots with duct tape on them.

IMG_1573.jpeg

I found an old picture of this in a thread when it was collected in 2015. Check out the band-saw root reduction :eek:

IMG_0215.JPG

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Or for that matter, anodized in any color you like
You know........that could be really interesting with the right flame patina!
pick one 🤣 ... Aluminum anodizes, stainless won't, and stainless change color with heat, aluminum won't. I need an excuse to buy more tools, just don't tell my wife!

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
pick one 🤣 ... Aluminum anodizes, stainless won't, and stainless change color with heat, aluminum won't. I need an excuse to buy more tools, just don't tell my wife!
I think stainless and heat. Black and blue??

Top Bottom