Advice for 1st time bonsai (chinese elm)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hello everyone. First post for me here I only found this site today and finding it tricky to find the basic info on bonsai. I have ordered a 7 year old Chinese elm tree from online seller . The reviews of the trees are promising and I am looking forward to getting started with a new hobby. I have included pictures for a reference of what I expect to receive. I will update post when tree arrives .
The tree should arrive between 27-32cm , I live in north east England (Sunderland) , I plan to put my tree on a south facing window sill and keep it there . The room is used as an office and no radiator will be switched on . Right now I just want to learn to keep the tree alive so I would like someone experienced to advise me on my first steps and what to expect from the tree , as in leaf drop because of transport , should I repot , is it feasible to keep on the windowsill and so on and so on . then maybe I can move on to shaping and pruning one day. Many thanks for any replies 👍👍

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200512-214001_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200512-214001_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20200512-213933_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200512-213933_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 72

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site! When you get a chance, add your location to your profile. We have a lot of UK members. Additionally, add your USDA Hardiness Zone. Sunderland is in Zone 9A - but it is a wet, cloudy Zone 9A :)

The good news is that for a beginner, Chinese elm is often one of the best choices of tree. It is extremely forgiving of many care mistakes, and yet can be styled into an amazing bonsai. However the bad news is that almost all bonsai do better as outside trees. It is difficult to replicate sun, wind, rain and humidity in an indoor environment. Not impossible... just difficult. However if any tree can make it indoors on a south-facing window, Chinese elm would be one.

The answer to your other questions depends greatly on the condition of the tree when you receive it. As soon as you get it, post some photos, and I'm sure tons of people will chime in.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yea I understand about it doing better outside , if that's what it takes to keep alive I will do it . However i would really like to keep indoors if possible.

I'll update as soon as tree arrives .

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Nothing wrong with bringing it in to enjoy for a couple hours a day or so.

Even in the rain, they are more enjoyable outside!

Sorce

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm still a noob but I thought I'd warn you that the leaves might yellow a little after you've had it for a bit, from what i read that's a normal reaction after being moved to a new environment. It happened to mine after 2 weeks but it quickly sorted itself out.
I have mine on the window ledge outside and it seems quite happy there, that could be an option for you if you want it to be as vigorous/healthy as possible but still be able to see it through the window.

Enjoy the start of your bonsai journey!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
My chinese elm tree has arrived. It looks pretty good to me . Worth 30 pounds surely ? So originally I was going to keep tree inside . However following advice from everyone , and me wanting the tree to thrive . I will keep the tree outside. I am unsure of the previous growing conditions of the tree. should I harden off for a few hours a day outside before fully leaving it out there ?
Pictures show teaspoon next to tree to gauge size 👍

Attachments

• 20200514_134226.jpg
    20200514_134226.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 20200514_134253.jpg
    20200514_134253.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 52

green_emi

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Congratulations! Thats pretty much what i paid for mine and i think it was worth it. I'm not experienced by any means but i would say that putting it directly in the place you chose for it is fine, unless you have an unusual heat wave with strong sun (but you're in England right? So it should be ok). You have plenty of time to get use to watering now before your advisable next spring repot to change the soil. Nice tree!

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm not experienced by any means but i would say that putting it directly in the place you chose for it is fine, unless you have an unusual heat wave with strong sun (but you're in England right? So it should be ok).
Yeah, I echo what green_emi is saying. It should be fine going directly outdoors. You could start it out in partial shade if you're worried about leaf burn or anything. In the UK I think you should have no problems. Welcome to the hobby and to the forum!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi and welcome! Is the pot attached to the tray under it? You might not want or need that outside, as you won’t want the pot sitting in water all day. One of the first things to learn is watering. If you put a wooden skewer down into the soil about halfway between the trunk and the pot, you can take it out every day to check to see if it’s still moist. Water when it shows signs of drying out, water until the water runs out the drainage holes of the pot. Is the soil like dirt or like granular sort of rocks? You want a soil that has good drainage, it should freely drain as you water. Good luck and update!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Cheers guys. The tree is doing nicely on the edge of my decking I need to fix a wall shelf before the dog alters the PH for me though 😂. The soil is not the granular type , it is dirt but it does have good drainage. I will repot before the start of spring next year . Not really sure what to do from here apart from more research .I also got a couple of maples all be it one is in the ground and other potted up badly so need to wait till next year with them too
so as it seems my 1st lesson is patience . Im also planning on doing something with an azalea plant. at least I'll be able to start tinkering with that . I should be able to get busy on the azalea as soon as the flowers drop.
Also @JudyB I noticed from another thread you have an 'orange dream' . That is the same type as mine .

Top Bottom