Advice for achieving an instant "Old Oak" look?

The Oak

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi people, I am new to bonsai and have never shaped, pruned or wire-manipulated a tree in my life.
Of all the bonsai styles I like the "Old Oak" look the most (see pictures below) and I want to shape a nursery-bought tree in this style.
Now, thing is that I don't want to wait long years for the trunk to become thick, lol.
So how do I approach this then?

I read that Boxwood makes great oak-style bonsai trees. I do have access to relatively large Boxwood trees (40+ centimeters in height), but what bothers me is that Boxwood grows sooo slowly... Like I said, I don't want to wait long years after pruning for the tree to recover.
I can also get very tall (1,5 meter) conical Junipers and Thujas, but I am not sure if they can be turned into good looking Oak-style trees as their trunks are not thick enough and the trees themselves are also way too long and narrow.

So what would be the best approach here? Should I just go yamadori hunting and hope to find a stunted tree in the forest?
Any other commonly available species, other than Boxwood, that would give me an instant oak look?
Thanks!

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg3.jpg

Bagels

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing is going to give you an "instant" look unless it's an already established and trained bonsai that someone else has been working on. If you want to just buy something that already has the old oak styling like the ones in the pictures you linked, you'll have to pay for the time someone else took to create a tree in the state that you want to enjoy it. You can't just find a yamadori and turn it into an old oak style like the ones above. It's a process that takes years.

If you are willing to take the time to learn and grow with the tree, there are certainly a number of species that can achieve that look, including varieties of oaks (like the cork bark oak or live oak). You can certainly achieve some remarkable bonsai in the old oak style with boxwoods, I've seen some great boxwoods in that style. Other varieties really depend on where you live but you would want to investigate broadleaf evergreens in general.

I would avoid junipers and Thujas for the oak look, its not as natural a look for them and their foliage is different than oaks.

Which approach is best for you really depends on how much time and how much money you are willing to spend.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Now, thing is that I don't want to wait long years for the trunk to become thick, lol.

I read that Boxwood makes great oak-style bonsai trees. I do have access to relatively large Boxwood trees (40+ centimeters in height),

So what would be the best approach here?
Welcome to the site. I'd suggest you grab those old boxwood to start. Or your checkbook! That use to be a means of payment....😆

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Though simple on its surface, your question is actually somewhat interesting to dissect. Much of bonsai is about styling trees in a way that replicates the look of trees in nature that may be hundreds of years old.

Though members of the site would agree that you can't create the look of an old oak "instantly", you can certainly accelerate the process... perhaps ending up with a tree in 5 or 10 years that looks like a tree many times older.

So when you look at those trees in your examples... what specifically do you like about them? Tell us... and we'll tell you how long it takes to achieve :) Bendy branch structure? Not long. Gnarly roots on the surface of the soil? Longer. Aged, cracking bark? Longest of all... A thick trunk doesn't take that long. It's hiding the pruning scar afterwards that takes a while :)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
This seems like longing for a mountain peak, for naught of a climb...

You need training, time and tools to climb a mountain.

Even if dropped via-helicopter on a high peak...(writing that mentioned ‘big fat check’ :) ).. without skills, experience and time to “give”, you (in this case a very refined little tree) will surely perish for lack of that “survival skillset”..

The journey is often better, this is no exception.. mountain CLIMBING is half the enjoyment OF arriving at that “scenic overlook”...

You need to decide whether you like mountain climbing FIRST... for most on the “peaks” do...

We can teach you to climb mountains.. but for us to set you smack dab in the middle of the wilderness seems irresponsible..

Hope you can somewhat follow that nonsense...

That being said...

What is your budget?

🤓

The Oak

Seedling
Reaction score
OK, thanks for the replies...
I am willing to put in some time in this, but not aeons, lol. At the same time I don't want to buy a pre-made bonsai, would like to create my own as a hobby project.
So let me paraphrase my question then: of all the tree species out there, which one would give me the "Old Oak" look the fastest?

@Bonsai Nut what I like about this "Old Oak" style of bonsai is that when you look at those miniature "oaks" you instantly go: "Oh wow! It's a tree in a pot!".
They look like natural trees and not like some bizarre, weird, crooked, man-made art things (noting against those, I just prefer natural-looking stuff).

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
OK, thanks for the replies...
I am willing to put in some time in this, but not aeons, lol. At the same time I don't want to buy a pre-made bonsai, would like to create my own as a hobby project.
So let me paraphrase my question then: of all the tree species out there, which one would give me the "Old Oak" look the fastest?

@Bonsai Nut what I like about this "Old Oak" style of bonsai is that when you look at those miniature "oaks" you instantly go: "Oh wow! It's a tree in a pot!".
They look like natural trees and not like some bizarre, weird, crooked, man-made art things (noting against those, I just prefer natural-looking stuff).
You're right with your first assessment. Boxwoods make great oak-style trees. They actually do a better impression of an old spreading Oak tree than actual Oaks do when it comes to bonsai.

The best way of achieving a convincing Oak style Boxwood in the shortest time-frame possible is by acquiring one from an old hedge. These can make fantastic bonsai in a "relatively" short period of time (less than 10 years). Put an ad on Craigslist saying you're looking for Boxwood hedge material. Say you're willing to dig up old hedge for people wanting to remove theirs.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you are willing to develop a small ancient oak look, cotoneaster is a good starting place.
Honestly your post gives the impression that your journey is doomed. Hope you prove me wrong ... best of luck.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're right with your first assessment. Boxwoods make great oak-style trees. They actually do a better impression of an old spreading Oak tree than actual Oaks do when it comes to bonsai.

The best way of achieving a convincing Oak style Boxwood in the shortest time-frame possible is by acquiring one from an old hedge. These can make fantastic bonsai in a "relatively" short period of time (less than 10 years). Put an ad on Craigslist saying you're looking for Boxwood hedge material. Say you're willing to dig up old hedge for people wanting to remove theirs.
Show him yours!! Great examples of what you can do with boxwood from a hedge.

The Oak

Seedling
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for all the replies, people.
I will look around for a suitable boxwood tree.

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Show him yours!! Great examples of what you can do with boxwood from a hedge.
Alright. Thanks Hartinez! These were originally dug from an old hedge from our previous house. Dug back in 2011.

0224210628a.jpg
IMG_20200504_161208 (1).jpg

Here's the original post of collecting these

The Oak

Seedling
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks Hartinez! These were originally dug from an old hedge from our previous house. Dug back in 2011.

View attachment 361185
View attachment 361184

Super cool trees.
So it took them 10 years to recover from the initial chopping and pruning?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

View attachment 361185
View attachment 361184

Just incredible. Wonderful work.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Alright, thanks for all the replies, people.
I will look around for a suitable boxwood tree.
Yes... and no.

I agree with your assessment of boxwoods as being interesting candidates for oak style bonsai. However... how many great boxwood bonsai do you see? Some, but not many. I have found boxwood to be not only slow-growing, but particularly sensitive to having their roots touched. In fact, I would say I have probably killed more boxwoods in my day than any other genus. They are, after all, shrubs that look like oaks, instead of oaks themselves. And so like all ignorant people, I did an Internet search on "how long do boxwoods live" and came up with the answer "20-30 years". Hmmmm.

I happen to be a big fan of Valley Oak - Q. lobata, a California endemic white oak which lives... 600 years :) Largest oak in North America, and grows like mad even in a pond basket. Prune roots? Who cares? And so now I own 13 of them (my lucky number) and zero boxwoods :)

The Oak

Seedling
Reaction score
I happen to be a big fan of Valley Oak - Q. lobata, a California endemic white oak which lives... 600 years :) Largest oak in North America, and grows like mad even in a pond basket. Prune roots? Who cares? And so now I own 13 of them (my lucky number) and zero boxwoods :)
Valley Oak sounds like a pretty cool species. Problem is that I live in Eastern Europe and don't have access to it. Guess regular European oak would do the trick too.
Will go on a yamadori hunt soon.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have found boxwood to be not only slow-growing, but particularly sensitive to having their roots touched. In fact, I would say I have probably killed more boxwoods in my day than any other genus.
Very interesting statement. I find the opposite to be true. I have just yanked them out of the ground and except for a few old English box that had nematodes, I don't believe I have ever lost one of hundreds I have abused. Maybe its timing or some other factor not known or disclosed. I find boxwood roots to be as durable as azaleas. I have several that were merely sticks stuck in the ground and rooting is pretty near 100%.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Valley Oak sounds like a pretty cool species. Problem is that I live in Eastern Europe and don't have access to it. Guess regular European oak would do the trick too.
Will go on a yamadori hunt soon.
Hmmm.... let me see if I can fix that.

It ranges over the hot interior valleys of California where there is a water table within reach of the roots. Valley Oaks grow quickly, reaching 20 feet in 5 years, and 40 feet in 10 years, and up to 60 feet in 20 years. Mature specimens may attain an age of up to 600 years.

valley oak.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi people, I am new to bonsai and have never shaped, pruned or wire-manipulated a tree in my life.
Of all the bonsai styles I like the "Old Oak" look the most (see pictures below) and I want to shape a nursery-bought tree in this style.

I read that Boxwood makes great oak-style bonsai trees. I do have access to relatively large Boxwood trees (40+ centimeters in height), but what bothers me is that Boxwood grows sooo slowly... Like I said, I don't want to wait long years after pruning for the tree to recover.
I can also get very tall (1,5 meter) conical Junipers and Thujas, but I am not sure if they can be turned into good looking Oak-style trees as their trunks are not thick enough and the trees themselves are also way too long and narrow.

So what would be the best approach here? Should I just go yamadori hunting and hope to find a stunted tree in the forest?
Any other commonly available species, other than Boxwood, that would give me an instant oak look?
Thanks!

View attachment 361151View attachment 361152View attachment 361153View attachment 361154View attachment 361155View attachment 361158

To the first question, start with a fat/good trunk, a good nebari and you can build a decent branch structure in 5-7 years. pics 5 n 6 are of Walter palls famous maple. you can use the search engine here or go to his blog and see how it started, how long it took etc, thats if youre really serious;-)

the best approach? same again, start with a great trunk and a very good nebari.

Top Bottom