Advice for first time planting

Jawshydg

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,
I‘ve bought and have a few other bonsais but recently purchased a few seeds and wanted to try my hand at growing new ones from seed.
I’m just unsure if there’s a soil that would suit them best during this process and then when they’re big enough to be potted in with their suitable soil?
Based in the uk.
And if there’s not a one kind soil for the seeding process if you could please recommend the best soil for each I would greatly appreciate it.
Chinese redbud
Lilac
Empress tree
Black cherry
And Japanese maple, akadama soil I’ve heard is best for this?

Thanks so much everyone :)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Most seeds are relatively easy to germinate. They have been doing it in the forest for millions of years without any help.
For most seeds I just use my standard bonsai mix for trident and Japanese maple, pines, acacias and most other bonsai species.
If you have a very open bonsai soil with big spaces or dries out quick you should probably try a standard potting soil to get them started.
For special seeds or hard to germinate species try seed raising soil available at the plant nursery. It should be sanitized so less chances of pest or disease invading your germinating seeds.

Some species need specific treatment before they will germinate reliably. Search online for any pre-treatment for each species. I don't think the species mentioned need any except maybe Japanese maple if the seed has been stored. Fresh maple seed usually germinates very well without stratification though.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Add you growing Zone to your profile , it will help answer any questions

Top Bottom