Advice for Maple from seed

Dalesy

Seed
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have been wanting to grow Japanese Maple from seed for a long time, and have done lots of research. However, my research has resulted in a query I can’t find an answer to.
All the maple I have seen growing from seed in my research seems to shoot up tall very quickly, and have no lower branches. How are lower branches encouraged?
I assume you cut the main stem down, and new shoots will emerge. However, I don’t want to kill them by doing this if it is incorrect.
I also don’t want to grow a nice thick trunk and then cut it down to size leaving an unnatural top. If I keep it short from the beginning, will I get a better tree?

Has anyone got experience in this?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Basically, you have the correct idea, let them grow tall, then cut them down low, and branches will appear along the trunk. From seed is the "slow route" to bonsai. For the first 3 to 5 years after sprouting, you do no pruning of your maple. Then beginning the 3rd year or so, you can do some pruning,

First trick is getting the seed to germinate, and grow. Work on that, once you have actual plants to look at, you can post pictures and ask about the next steps. Key is, don't start pruning seedlings when less than a year or two old, as you will simply slow the development process.

Fonz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Like I said on that other board :)

Just let them grow freely for the 1st 2-3 years (additionally add some movement in the trunk after year 1). After 2+-3 years you can cut the trunk down to a low internode and new branches will grow from there adding some taper in the trunk. Peter Adams' and Andrea Meriggioli's maple books are a good way to learn about how to grow maple bonsai trees.

I started a batch in 2017: shumibonsai.wordpress.com/tag/japanese-maple-from-seed-2017/

Dalesy

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It’s really good to know the assumptions are correct.

Top Bottom