Advice for planning a yamadori

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So I want to take a plant from nature that i found in the forest behind my building ( not sure if this is legal) and turn it unto a bonsai. I think its a sugar maple that came up out of the roots a huge maple nearby, its about 6-8 feet tall with trunk diameter of roughly 6 inches per trunk(estimate based off memory) . It appears to be two seperate trees that have naturally coiled together at the bottom forming the appearance of a split/twin trunk. Seems like a good candidate to me. Will try and get some pics soon but its raining today.
I read its good to dig it up and root prune then plant it back in the ground for 6 months to a year to regrow the fine feeder roots. What time of year would be best to do this root pruning? I also need to chop the trunks to low leaders which it has suitable branches for around 1 foot in height for. Can i top and bottom prune at the same time if I'm going to be putting the tree back in the ground or will it be too much stress? What time of year if best to prune maples? I have seen mixed advice between winter and summer pruning. Any advice is appreciated.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do not worry about replanting. Deciduous trees dug in early fall (You still have 4-6 weeks before frost?) or early spring (As the trees start to wake up) can be dug, roots cleaned, trimmed to size and planted in the smallest pot possible with e.g., bims, and left to grow.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do not worry about replanting. Deciduous trees dug in early fall (You still have 4-6 weeks before frost?) or early spring (As the trees start to wake up) can be dug, roots cleaned, trimmed to size and planted in the smallest pot possible with e.g., bims, and left to grow.
Thanks for making it over here! Haha Yeah, leaves are just falling now, temps are still well above zero. Ok, you sure about putting it right into the pot? Guess that will save me some time! Can i do it now or would early spring be preferable, also, should i wait until all the leaves have dropped if i do it in fall?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes. If you dig now, make sure that for the next month you do not et real cold. If you have the option to wait for spring, wait.
Ok, I'll wait. I'll just prune the top once the leaves fall off and do the root work/ potting in the spring. Thanks for the help!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Roots effectively reduce activity to near-zero as temps drop below 5-10c. Under 5c you will get so little growth to be virtually nonexistent. Which means that the roots will sit, cut, waiting for spring to start growing this is why spring collection is often better, unless you keep the roots at 10 degrees or so over the next month or two. Professional yamadori collectors willcollect now and place on heating mats.

Top Bottom