Advice for Red Maple Recently Air-layered

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Would very much appreciate advice on choosing a leader for this recently grown air-layered red maple. I'm new to the art and chose this odd branch back in April because of the odd twisting fork. I didn't know any better (and probably still don't :)) so I figured it would be interesting in some way or other down the line. So, the air-layer took wonderfully and here I am late in the growing season with suckers popping up wondering where I should go next. I hope the pictures show accurately but the tree has a sacrifice branch at soil level (with a brand-new sucker next to it), then the trunk forks about three inches higher. There's clearly a primary leader but the other branch seems more interesting. I suspect I need to choose one or the other... and wonder if I should do that soon to initiate healing sooner rather than later.

Attachments

• 78ADDFA0-9463-496D-BDC6-0EBCB9DDCFFE_1_201_a.jpeg
    78ADDFA0-9463-496D-BDC6-0EBCB9DDCFFE_1_201_a.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 150
  • 7085FEF3-B815-41C3-9CC3-1CF3250BDACA_1_201_a.jpeg
    7085FEF3-B815-41C3-9CC3-1CF3250BDACA_1_201_a.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 20B98F45-70D0-4B5C-A5A9-04ED0C0F8C6B_1_201_a.jpeg
    20B98F45-70D0-4B5C-A5A9-04ED0C0F8C6B_1_201_a.jpeg
    210.6 KB · Views: 125
  • 097B0255-5D17-4893-A5C9-ED00A615FC0D_1_201_a.jpeg
    097B0255-5D17-4893-A5C9-ED00A615FC0D_1_201_a.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 94A8F7E7-10BB-4558-B1B5-F83FEA5CE791_1_201_a.jpeg
    94A8F7E7-10BB-4558-B1B5-F83FEA5CE791_1_201_a.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 108
  • D4AEED32-3DCE-40EE-9A7E-3EBFD6E6BFA0_1_201_a.jpeg
    D4AEED32-3DCE-40EE-9A7E-3EBFD6E6BFA0_1_201_a.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 137

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wise words from Zach. I have lost air layers the next year from working too quickly.

If this was mine, I would chop it low at the ‘sacrifice branch’ way down low. The long straight section of trunk will be hard to make work in my opinion.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

So that is your sac on a bulge! 🤣

I'd keep pushing on that one you got your finger on till it breaks off!

It's mad early in this one's career, and with the size of Rubrum you need to make a decent tree, I think you could very well use that bend you like in the future.

Sorce

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree with letting it rest until next spring. Also, before you do anything, make sure you dig down and uncover the nebari so you know what you're dealing with. The nebari will define the next steps with the tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So that is your sac on a bulge! 🤣
😂 It took me the longest time to figure out what you meant... then I totally cracked up. Yes, that's one of them! I'm keeping an eye on that one to see what becomes of it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thought I'd post an update on this. The first two images (with the backdrop) were taken a little over a month ago, and the rest were taken yesterday. Not a ton of difference, of course. After moving it into a more shallow pot in March I've let it grow as freely as possible all season. It received unplanned pruning when new puppy took a few bites out of it in the spring and after toppling to the ground a few times from being so top-heavy. One thing I learned was that any plans for the "odd twisting fork" became totally moot. That clump of branches all fused together, which is fine. Planning to sacrifice all of that. Something else interesting was just how much trunk was uncovered or otherwise has grown below the "sac on the bulge." I really like the taper up to that branch, and while there's still a bit more taper above it (before the mangled mass), I think that's probably where I'll chop. Interested in opinions and recommendations, including when (time of year) to make the chop and whether it should be done all at once or not. Still mulling over whether to give it another year of free growing in order to get that base even fatter.

Attachments

• IMG_1330.jpeg
    IMG_1330.jpeg
    217.2 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1339.jpeg
    IMG_1339.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1652.jpeg
    IMG_1652.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1655.jpeg
    IMG_1655.jpeg
    385.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1656.jpeg
    IMG_1656.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 80
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Saddened by no responses 😞, I'm sweetening the offer by also posting photo of Butterfly Bonsai Bench Buddy who stopped by yesterday afternoon 😁, and attempting to tag friends who offered advice one year ago 😬...

Attachments

• IMG_1670.jpeg
    IMG_1670.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 72

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If it was mine I would chop at the first small branch Peter Adams maple style as buds begin to swell in the spring next year. Same time I would slip it out of the pot and plant it in the ground on a tile with plans to let it grow two years to close the wound and build nebari.

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s developing some taper now - some character, I like it! I would agree with chopping to the lowest branch to build the next section of trunk, before the trunk gets too large for the wound to heal quickly. Nice progress!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it was mine I would chop at the first small branch Peter Adams maple style as buds begin to swell in the spring next year. Same time I would slip it out of the pot and plant it in the ground on a tile with plans to let it grow two years to close the wound and build nebari.
Great advice, MH! I'll give it some thought. My bonsai activities don't currently involve planting in the ground. I have a bit of a yard that would allow for that, fortunately, but not sure if I'm ready to open that option (read: not ready for spouse's questions, interjections and suggestions about the best place to make that happen.) Def appreciate the suggestion on timing. Totally makes sense.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It’s developing some taper now - some character, I like it! I would agree with chopping to the lowest branch to build the next section of trunk, before the trunk gets too large for the wound to heal quickly. Nice progress!
Thanks, Brad! Appreciate the encouragement. I think you're right on for the placement of the cut. I often hear people say the rubrum is a real challenge for bonsai, and I believe one of the concerns is the tendency toward a trunk that's straight and even. Either way, chopping to allow for a high degree of taper early on seems to make sense. But then it comes back to planting it in the ground. Hmmm... 🤔

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Love that you are using rubrum. I'm sure you dont want to hear it but ground growing (or even pot growing) til you have a thicker trunk might be wise. With the leaf size as big as there's you need a pretty big tree. Always crazy jealous of folks who put the time into their rubrums. David Bennet has an article on how to care for these as bonsai in the latest issue of Bonsai International magazine. It's all free online now

Brad in GR

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Love that you are using rubrum. I'm sure you dont want to hear it but ground growing (or even pot growing) til you have a thicker trunk might be wise. With the leaf size as big as there's you need a pretty big tree. Always crazy jealous of folks who put the time into their rubrums. David Bennet has an article on how to care for these as bonsai in the latest issue of Bonsai International magazine. It's all free online now
Thanks for pointing this out, cool article and lovely tree. I look forward to having a couple decent rubrums in 20 years.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wow. Your comments and that article (along with additional feedback here) are so helpful. I'm definitely putting this one in the ground. Will very likely follow advice from MH and Brad but will plant in fall (a few weeks from now) instead of spring. I've always heard that fall is the time for planting (trees, anyway) and that seems to make sense in this case. I'll try to keep this thread going with updates on progress.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Fall is a great time to plant trees just don’t do any root work. At least I wouldn’t…. I’m going to plant out a tree tomorrow myself

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
just don’t do any root work.
I totally see what you mean, and that may be a reason for planting in the spring when you actually could do a bit of root work. Would be a good case for an A-B comparison test.

All that aside, before my last post, my profile was a Yamadori. Now at 101 posts, I'm a Mame. That's all well and good but will miss being a Yamadori. Yamadori rocks. 😄

Top Bottom