Advice for soil . to use Inplace of Akadama Scotland/uk

King James 111

Seedling
Reaction score
What can I put in place of Akadama soil as it to dear is there other suff you can use Scotland / uk time zone

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have found that aeration is part of the magic of Akadama too.Not just that roots can grow into particles.Especially if repotting annually anyway.
A good ole 50/50 orchid bark and aggregate works good for me.You can adjust the orchid bark portion.
Orchiata brand makes a great Orchid bark that is ph treated which helps initially.Comes graded in different sizes too which is great.Even an extra small.
.https://www.amazon.com/Orchiata-Zealand-Pinus-Radiata-Bark/dp/B008DBUYJK
Is it available in your part of the woods? It’s the best bark around.

Reactions: GGB

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
D.E.
Diatomaceous earth.
In your part of the world look for Tesco kitty litter. Pink bag I believe. It's made from diatomaceous earth. The pink is nin scented I think.

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I have found that aeration is part of the magic of Akadama too.Not just that roots can grow into particles.Especially if repotting annually anyway.
A good ole 50/50 orchid bark and aggregate works good for me.You can adjust the orchid bark portion.
Orchiata brand makes a great Orchid bark that is ph treated which helps initially.Comes graded in different sizes too which is great.Even an extra small.
.https://www.amazon.com/Orchiata-Zealand-Pinus-Radiata-Bark/dp/B008DBUYJK
Is it available in your part of the woods? It’s the best bark around.

Can orchid bark be used in soil? I've been very curious about using orchid bark in my soil mixes, but I only see people using pine bark that they break into small pieces by hand. If it's usable, orchid bark would be much more convenient for me.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can orchid bark be used in soil? I've been very curious about using orchid bark in my soil mixes, but I only see people using pine bark that they break into small pieces by hand. If it's usable, orchid bark would be much more convenient for me.
I like orchid bark better,seems more chunky.
I am using 50/50 bark along with various volcanic aggregate for my Zelkova and they are just fine.
Here is the extra small.....the 3/8” is probably better for bigger bonsai.
The soil ,that I cut with the orchid bark already had 20% pine bark....but the Orchid bark is better in my opinion.

Attachments

• A0FBA0C0-DE80-406D-98F0-0F5D25AFFEC6.jpeg
    A0FBA0C0-DE80-406D-98F0-0F5D25AFFEC6.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 206788D7-8DB1-4E76-9567-469F10F2BE45.jpeg
    206788D7-8DB1-4E76-9567-469F10F2BE45.jpeg
    467.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 2462295D-6DD4-4B95-B5D3-250336292DA1.jpeg
    2462295D-6DD4-4B95-B5D3-250336292DA1.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 34

pbrown00

Mame
Reaction score
I like orchid bark better,seems more chunky.
I am using 50/50 bark along with various volcanic aggregate for my Zelkova and they are just fine.
Here is the extra small.....the 3/8” is probably better for bigger bonsai.
The soil ,that I cut with the orchid bark already had 20% pine bark....but the Orchid bark is better in my opinion.

This is very helpful, thank you!

King James 111

Seedling
Reaction score
D.E.
Diatomaceous earth.
In your part of the world look for Tesco kitty litter. Pink bag I believe. It's made from diatomaceous earth. The pink is nin scented I think.

Yes , I can get it I think , I got oil spill as us in garages ect suff is that same There suff in. Asia ( warmart) Catsplan
Thanks for info

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Napa DE, Interesting......
I’ve actually been wondering if something like this could be used as a replacemen for akadama..... it seems much less expensive? 37.00 for 50L 35lb bags
Hydro Crunch
Hydro Crunch DBAUS888 Expanded Clay Growing Media Hydroponic 50 Liter 8 mm Aggregate Pebbles Pellets, Brown

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Hi Jim,

There must be some kind of lava rock available in Scotland. I remember a beach with black sand north of Arbroath, that could be a good soil for the roots with some composted bark.

Not the equivalent of Akadama (clay), but finding local substrate/mix can be useful. Where I live, there's a wholesaler (pumice, pozzolane, composted pine bark, etc.) where I can get 30-litres bags for about 7€, there must be one in Scotland too.

Woocash

Omono
Reaction score
D.E.
Diatomaceous earth.
So I'll be recommending things from 7/11 as well now then ;)

But no, I've read that tesco have changed the recipe and it now has additives. sanicat pink from pets at home is the safer bet these days apparently. I hope so cause that's what I've been using!

Top Bottom