Advice Needed on a plan for Dwarf JM

Minky

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good Morning All,

I have this Dwarf JM that is 20” tall. The more I look at it, the less certain I am with a plan.

Air layer and/or trunk chop? Perhaps my first attempt at a literati? Not much movement in trunk and taper is not spectacular.

Would really appreciate a more experience set of eyes that see potential better than I do.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_0946.JPG
    IMG_0946.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0947.JPG
    IMG_0947.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0948.JPG
    IMG_0948.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0949.JPG
    IMG_0949.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0950.JPG
    IMG_0950.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 23

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

What do you mean by "Dwarf JM" ,

There are so many "dwarf JM" cultivars that it's very risky to give you any advice.

And 20" for a straight trunk maple doesn't look so "dwarf" to me : do you have pictures of the tree in full leaf ?...

Minky

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
AlainK,

Unfortunately, all I have is Dwarf JM from the handwritten tag. The tree was given to me a few days ago by a neighbor so I have not seen it leafed out.

I understand the difference in growth habits across cultivars can be vast, so I may leave it alone and let it grow this year and see how it grows and presents itself. Even then a positive ID could be a guess at best. Fortunately I have grown to be a very patient guy.

I am really working to develop the ability to see a trees potential, which requires knowing a trees capabilities ( backbudding, etc... ). Both are areas where I just need more experience, so I thought I would ask what others with more experience saw as potential

With the lack of any real low branching and the straight trunk with practically no taper my first inclination is to take a couple air layers and then chop it. There seem to be many dormant bud bumps along the trunk base so it seems like that could be promising.

Thanks for asking!

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
all I have is Dwarf JM from the handwritten tag.

Then I think the best option is to let it leaf out, share photos, and wait for others to try and sort out what "series" it belongs to before doing anything else than keeping it healthy...

Minky

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree and that will be the plan. As soon as it leafs out I will share some pics.

If you have a moment, I hope you will indulge me.

Lets say you knew this to be a particular dwarf cultivar ( you pick one ) with certain growth habits. Knowing what it is and how it will grow/respond, what would you do to it at 20" with a straight, thin trunk? Keeping trees healthy is the easy part for me, its the seeing years into the future that still presents challenges.

So when people describe their approaches and the metrics they use, I am always interested.

Thanks for your time.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @Minky ! How does it feel getting bumbed by that damn Clyde?

Welcome to Crazy!

I'd airlayer it from the top down a couple inches and a good branch till you get to the bottom.

Sorce

Minky

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Sorce.

So I have officially been Clyde'ed? Is there a T-Shirt?

I may end up doing a series of air-layers ( leaning that way ), but it costs me nothing to grow it out and try to see what it is.

Thanks for the input.

Top Bottom