Advice needed on Amur trunk chop progress

buckaroo

Seed
Reaction score
Hello. I have had this tree in my garden for the past several years and decided I was happy with the size and it was time to get it into a pot. After doing some reading again here and elsewhere I took the plunge - chopped and potted.
All seems to be going well but I am unsure what to do about all the new growth. It's everywhere. Do I take some off right away? I am thinking the really low growth should not continue. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Also would not mind some input of what I should or should not do going forward at this stage. Should I expect some die back? As you can see in the photo, the cut is on the trunk where it had a bit of a swelling in the old growth. I might want to avoid that bit of trunk??

Looking forward to your thoughts. Criticism's welcome too.

chop.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I agree about the low growth. But just thin it. Kinda let it know that area is not productive to throw buds.

But it really doesn't seem like you need to remove anything at this point, nothing will ruin a design this year.

I would only reduce the top to One good leader, that strongest one looks good, but even this can be done later, before fall growth.

I feel like removing stuff now will trigger it to make more buds in the same places, since it's still in survival mode.

Waiting a few weeks will more properly redirect energy.

Over the next few weeks, watch em and keep the ones that are a good balance of strength and short internodes.

Nice .

Sorce

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Good start, enjoy watching all of the upcoming changes on your tree.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I usually let all the shoots grow until at least mid summer, usually all year before making any decisions about style. Even the current chop will be up for review depending which shoots grow and which don't do so well.
If you do see a good leader developing that complements the nebari and trunk you could start to position some of the shoots as beginning branches. These really young shoots will just fall off if you try to bend any now but later when they are a bit better attached you can gently bend them down into the desired branch angles. Leave the new apex to grow unpruned all year to gain strength.

Forrestford

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
As you can see in the photo, the cut is on the trunk where it had a bit of a swelling in the old growth. I might want to avoid that bit of trunk??
I think you are right. The top portion, from the picture you provided, looks to swell. I would chop lower now and then let it heal. It’s got a cool old looking base with a lot of flare. You don’t want to look back and wish you had chopped lower. The main trunk will die back, but as long as you have a strong leader it should heal over in several years.
C296B963-79E9-4F56-9670-FB27B4464F97.jpeg
just my 2¢.

Top Bottom