Advice needed on chopping a ficus

Izzy85

Seedling
Reaction score
Hey all, I would like some advice on this young tigerbark ficus. I haven't had it all that long and it was repotted right before I got it a couple months ago so I haven't seen the root system.
I'm not crazy about the s-curve of the trunk, and there is definately a lack of lower branches. Some of the upper branches are quite disproportionally thick. There is a scar on the back side of the trunk where it was cut. It was not made flush and died back a little.
I was considering a trunk chop maybe after the roots grow in better. I guess I would like general advice on what kind of style would work for this tree and where I could safely reduce to in order to get it moving in that direction. Maybe future lower branches would bud up if I hard pruned back some of the growth but I'd also consider just chopping the darn thing down to work toward a better tree in the future. Tks!!

Cheers
Mike20180518_132106.jpg20180518_132122.jpg20180518_132138.jpg20180518_132152.jpg20180518_132216.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You might consider an air-layer. If successful, you'll end up with two trees! It is a little bit like an insurance plan if you prune the trunk hard and nothing buds.

Sounds like you already know this, but don't repot the same year you are trying all of this dramatic work.

Reaction score
I would let it grow free with no cuttings all this year. Feed heavily, water and give it as much sun and warmth as possible. Next year, when temps start warming up you can chop down or air-layer. It will thicken a bit and increase its strength necessary for the chop. I just did what I am telling you. Look for my post on Ficus microcarpa.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I agree with Gustavo. Do not do anything to this tree any time soon. Repot it into some nice soil and feed it and let it go wild with growth. This tree is in no shape to be heavily chopped or layered.

Izzy85

Seedling
Reaction score
Do not do anything to this tree any time soon. Repot it into some nice soil and feed it

Thanks guys appreciate you taking the time to take a look. Air layer would be a safe bet. Ryan - about repotting: it was potted up by the shop before they shipped it and it doesnt look like the bondai jack stuff I use. I think I see dirt lol. I would prefer to have it in the bonsai jack soil but considering they did it not too long ago do you think I could just go in and repot without touching the roots. Also a bonsai pot may help sell the tree but i have a nice mica training pot which I think would be better. Isnt a bonsai pot not good for development?

Attachments

• 2018-05-18 14.37.06.jpg
    2018-05-18 14.37.06.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 2018-05-18 14.38.28.jpg
    2018-05-18 14.38.28.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 2018-05-18 14.39.09.jpg
    2018-05-18 14.39.09.jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Thanks guys appreciate you taking the time to take a look. Air layer would be a safe bet. Ryan - about repotting: it was potted up by the shop before they shipped it and it doesnt look like the bondai jack stuff I use. I think I see dirt lol. I would prefer to have it in the bonsai jack soil but considering they did it not too long ago do you think I could just go in and repot without touching the roots. Also a bonsai pot may help sell the tree but i have a nice mica training pot which I think would be better. Isnt a bonsai pot not good for development?
I think you are safe to repotting it into a larger pot without disturbing too much the roots. It's a Ficus after all... The soil it's in does not look so bad in the pictures... If it drains well, I wouldn't touch it.

Top Bottom