• IMG_5352.jpg
    IMG_5352.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 124

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I prefer my cascades to have a single cascading branch so my first step would be to pick whichever one of those has the most potential. I also like a short apex on mine so I would train a leader out of either part of the other branch or one that follows the base trunkline whichever gives me the best movement and potential. Then develop foilage pads. The movement of a cascade should always be dynamic both horizontally and vertically. Like a multistage waterfall (branch) that drops from pool (foliage) to pool. Hope this helps. Look at as many pictures as you can and see what the tree does that works for you. The juniper you have looks like a good candidate but you can see it alot better in person than we can from a single distant pic. It's up to you to make the major decisions and you'll feel better about the tree if you do.

BKulpa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Steve

I've attached a word document which (I hope) illustrates my initial thoughts for this project.
I want some advice before I get too carried away.

Attachments

• 2nd phase cascade.jpg
    2nd phase cascade.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 52

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would start by drawing a vision for my design. For a traditional cascade, you want the apex centered over the pot, and the point of the descending branch centered under the pot. How you get there is the design :)

Start with this, and then let's discuss. Always have your final vision in mind BEFORE you start worrying about which branch to bend where.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
A good grooming of the tree -- taking off shoots sprouting from branch axils, that sort of thing -- is something I always find helpful when I need a good look.

Also, are we looking at the tentative front?

BKulpa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How soon should I trim?

I just put the plant in this pot yesterday.

BKulpa

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to post my word doument

I'd like to post my word doument but I'm having a problem with the document size for this website.
Advise on this would be helpful.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I just put the plant in this pot yesterday.

A light trimming wouldn't hurt now -- pinch the tips back, all over the tree. That would send more resources into the roots as they recover.

Be careful, tho, not to rock the tree in its pot as you pinch. That can break fine roots. I think this would be an occasion for scissors, even tho the cut tips would brown. (Unsightly but not harmful.)

As for your posting difficulty, sorry; I have no idea.

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of the best cascades I have seen in person as well as photos have trunks that leave the soil at an angle. You don't need to change the angle now, but keep it in mind when you decide on branch selection and placement.

-Dave

Top Bottom