Advice on a cheaper side reciprocating saw for next spring

Iamtheuniballer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have some trees I will be collecting in late winter and need to get my first reciprocating saw. I will try to get a used one on eBay since I am not a rich man but wanted to know what to look for as far as power, features, etc.

I will use it on roots as well as trunk chops.

Thanks!!

Iamtheuniballer

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have the 18
love it. used it to prune a big ol beach in backyard a couple months ago. 6" branches no problem. Battery lasted about 2hrs at full power

One like this? t.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-18-Volt-One-Cordless-Reciprocating-Saw-Tool-Only-P514/100041044

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check out these at Harbor Freight tools. They are a bit more bulky than the more fancy (expensive) models but they are strong and durable, have a 1 year warranty and if you are feeling like a sucker you can buy the extended warranty. For less than $40 dollars, or $29.99 for the cheaper one I bought for cutting holes in a tar flat roof to install some turbine vents they hold up well and you would not mind sticking them in the mud to cut roots with or getting melted tar all over the tool as it cut through the 6 layers of tar/paper and the 1 inch plywood base.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=18+VOLT+RECIPROCATING+SAW
Oh and these come with the Battery and charger, the $39.99 Ryobi doesn't.
Hope the link shows this time, I don't want to waste another 15 minutes getting back here again ...

ed

Last edited:

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I got the ryobi becuase there good tools and I have their drill, weed wacker, angle grinder, and saw. I didn't buy at the same time but the lithium+ 18v batteries work for all them and the last a long timer per charge. Whatever u get try to stay in brand if it's got batteries

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
May the poor man buy once.

Milwaukee.

The smaller toothed metal cutting blades work smoother than the ones for wood.

Sorce

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
May the poor man buy once.

Milwaukee.

I agree. Most times people who try to save spend more in the long run buying something they eventually replace.

I have this Milwaukee reciprocating saw
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-0719-22-Sawzall-Cordless-Reciprocating/dp/B0009F7Q2Q

Expensive but well worth it and would pay for itself many times over if I sell all the trees I collected with it.

I've used many blades (including exotic expensive ones) but think the best is Skil "The Ugly" blade. It is awesome. Thanks to the B-Nutter who turned me to it.
http://www.amazon.com/94100-05-Pruning-Reciprocating-Blades-5-Pack/dp/B000BMBPGU

If budget is tight, I suggest you get this instead. I just purchased my second one so I always have it in my car. I've cut a 5" pyracantha trunk in about a dozen pulls w/ it. Very fast (less than 15 seconds) and I am a small guy. It doesn't work too well for roots though.
http://www.amazon.com/Corona-RS-725...2WDQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1416665543&sr=8-4

For roots use this (just sharpen the edge) One of my (top 4) favorite collecting tools.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_95345-302-1593100_0__?productId=3428008

or this (another favorite)
http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Power...ref=sr_1_5?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1416666332&sr=1-5

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the exact opposite philosophy - consider my collecting tools disposable and get new ones nearly every spring. For the cost of that Milwaukee you can replace a Harbor Freight recip saw each year for the next 10, and still save money. Also, I don't get so upset if I lose it in a swamp.

Brian

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I use the exact opposite philosophy - consider my collecting tools disposable and get new ones nearly every spring. For the cost of that Milwaukee you can replace a Harbor Freight recip saw each year for the next 10, and still save money. Also, I don't get so upset if I lose it in a swamp.

Brian

That is one way to approach it too.

I am no snob, I have lots of HF products for same reason but only those that I do not use often. I've had an opportunity to use one of their recip saw and it is so jarring, I'd rather use my manual saw (I am not kidding). BUT innocence is a bliss...you do not know what you are missing so it is fine.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just keep my high end tools at home...Maybe I'm the only klutz who drops stuff off of cliffs or into a swamp. Lost a phone or two that way too...:rolleyes:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Brian

True, but if it wears out before the year is up return it and they GIVE you a new one.

ed

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Check out these at Harbor Freight tools.

ed

Don't waste your time and money. I bought one from harbor freight and it was total crap. No power andshort battery life. I gave it to Goodwill and bought a Milwaukee.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't waste your time and money. I bought one from harbor freight and it was total crap. No power andshort battery life. I gave it to Goodwill and bought a Milwaukee.

So just how bad are they? I'm also thinking of getting a recip. I don't go out on collecting trips, but I have stock in the ground for several years. Not huge, but I have some arthritic issues and cutting through roots with a hand saw can be difficult at times. So unless the batteries literally die within minutes, that wouldn't be a huge issue to me as I won't be out in the field trying to dig up a monster.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Heck patty I would have returned it and got my money back ! I guess if you have more money than sense it does not matter anyway. On a side note, if it was that bad why not throw it away? Goodwill is an institution that resells the items you donate to fund their charity work, what good could they do with your garbage ?

ed

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So just how bad are they? I'm also thinking of getting a recip. I don't go out on collecting trips, but I have stock in the ground for several years. Not huge, but I have some arthritic issues and cutting through roots with a hand saw can be difficult at times. So unless the batteries literally die within minutes, that wouldn't be a huge issue to me as I won't be out in the field trying to dig up a monster.

Then buy a corded one.

Even a good Milwaukee is just around $100. Believe me, your body & joints will thank you for getting it (compared to an HF version).

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Then buy a corded one.

Even a good Milwaukee is just around $100. Believe me, your body & joints will thank you for getting it (compared to an HF version).

Dario, no offense but I gotta ask what is wrong with you that a hand tool tears up your joints and body? For the record, being a contractor I own and have owned and used literally hundreds of reciprocating saws. I have never found a single one to be "jarring" in any price scale even when cutting through steel support legs on metal grain bins. Personally I think anyone putting a Milwaukee M18 into mud is a complete idiot, maybe collecting a pine or something else in a dry area ....

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The Milwaukee has a counterbalance.

You could use a long blade with the guard/stopper fully extended, wrap the rest in a heavy plastic and keep it clean. It works for overhead fecal pipes, great shower, roaches. Mmmmm.

Buying tools from Harbor freight is like buying pots with attached drip trays.
I can tighten bolts with my hand better than their impact gun.

Who wants to exchange a tool when up a mountain, or knee deep in a swamp 5 miles in. You could always carry in 3 of them!

May the poor man also keep his tools tidy. Tool maintenance Tuesdays!

Sorce

Top Bottom