Advice on a new Juniper. Just moved and climate is new to me also

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone,

currently living in South Florida and needless to say this climate is completely different from the North East.

I just picked up a new Juniper from Wal Mart ( I know blasphemy). I want to get myself used to the climate and what I need to do before investing in real Bonsai trees.

I have been in Bonsai for a few short years and consider myself a beginner. Don't get me wrong I definitely know the basics and I know about plants/trees in general.

I've attached pictures and would like insight from you guys on what you think the condition of this tree is and what I may need to do. There was some browning. It was planted in a coffee mug sized pot with soil and large pieces of pine bark.......so I know that may be the cause.

I replanted it just a few days ago (2 days after buying it) in the pot in the picture with Japanese soil.

What do you guys think? Is it healthy? :) Anything that I may need to keep an eye out for?

My biggest concern is getting MYSELF used to the watering here. It's hot real hot here. Currently days are in the 80's and night around 68. The tree is outside at all times. At night under and open air patio to protect from the wind, b/c this month and next are very windy here. Add the strong sun, well we all know what happens....

Any advice on what I should do (especially from someone down here) would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 20170222_231346.jpg
    20170222_231346.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 20170222_231415.jpg
    20170222_231415.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170222_231453.jpg
    20170222_231453.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20170222_231713.jpg
    20170222_231713.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 20170222_231913.jpg
    20170222_231913.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170222_232031.jpg
    20170222_232031.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20170222_232313.jpg
    20170222_232313.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 51

Little stub

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi everyone,

currently living in South Florida and needless to say this climate is completely different from the North East.

I just picked up a new Juniper from Wal Mart ( I know blasphemy). I want to get myself used to the climate and what I need to do before investing in real Bonsai trees.

I have been in Bonsai for a few short years and consider myself a beginner. Don't get me wrong I definitely know the basics and I know about plants/trees in general.

I've attached pictures and would like insight from you guys on what you think the condition of this tree is and what I may need to do. There was some browning. It was planted in a coffee mug sized pot with soil and large pieces of pine bark.......so I know that may be the cause.

I replanted it just a few days ago (2 days after buying it) in the pot in the picture with Japanese soil.

What do you guys think? Is it healthy? :) Anything that I may need to keep an eye out for?

My biggest concern is getting MYSELF used to the watering here. It's hot real hot here. Currently days are in the 80's and night around 68. The tree is outside at all times. At night under and open air patio to protect from the wind, b/c this month and next are very windy here. Add the strong sun, well we all know what happens....

Any advice on what I should do (especially from someone down here) would be greatly appreciated!
Hello, you my want to contact Adam Levine or his web site. Also,see D&L nursery and web site. Both are very helpful. Good luck.

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
You`ve given me a great (terrible) idea :) That little juni looks so nice, and being as I've just planted some zelkovas today mainly to do a forest planting... why not practice with some baby junis? To the garden center tomorrow! With sulking kids.. "no daddy, please not again...)

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You`ve given me a great (terrible) idea :) That little juni looks so nice, and being as I've just planted some zelkovas today mainly to do a forest planting... why not practice with some baby junis? To the garden center tomorrow! With sulking kids.. "no daddy, please not again...)

Wow I'm flattered! Just got here and I guess I inspired you!

I have a little daughter almost 2 and Bonsai is my tranquility. Just today she was running around watering the entire yard hahaa including chairs and pavers :)

I also picked up a boxwood shrub as well for 10 bucks. Beautiful tangled trunk, and I love the light green leaves. They make wonderful Bonsai

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Can we see the box?

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to Crazy!

Can we see the box?

Sorce

Thank you!!! I'm lovin' it here already! I'll get some pics today and post them for sure! It's still rough nursery stock right now but over this weekend I'm going to re pot and work on it.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to Crazy!

Can we see the box?

Sorce
Alright sorry for the delay haha! Life.

Here are a few pics and I want to correct myself I don't think it's boxwood but idk.....

There is a Hibiscus I have planted in back and a little bamboo I have going on !

They have all been there for a while a few years. I haven't started doing anything much to either one just yet.

Attachments

• 20170224_174815.jpg
    20170224_174815.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20170224_174834.jpg
    20170224_174834.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20170225_105800.jpg
    20170225_105800.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 20170225_105810.jpg
    20170225_105810.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

It looks of Spirea.

I don't know that it would be worth the time to mess with.

I think @Vin keeps one down there.
And I just got a Japanese one to play with.

That type may be difficult to "tree", then again, Its Florida! It could be six foot thick next year!

I'm happy you are happy here!
Just stay happy when the blunt folks come and talk about your stick in a pot!:p

But again....it's Florida!

Keep the passion and you can have outstanding trees in no time!

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics!

I look forward to seeing you go through the beginning of your new addiction!

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It looks of Spirea.

.....then again, Its Florida! It could be six foot thick next year!

I'm happy you are happy here!
Just stay happy when the blunt folks come and talk about your stick in a pot!:p

Thanks for taking the time to take the pics!

I look forward to seeing you go through the beginning of your new addiction!

Sorce

Yea things grow wicked fast here and that's why I was thinking I could keep pruning this down we shall see

oh and those blunt folks you speak of......you mean like this guy: https://bonsainut.com/threads/the-burn-pile-newbie-graduation.25911/page-2#post-425732

:D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D

but all kidding aside these are I guess "sacrificial lambs" for me to get used to growing in this climate. It's so crazy and unique I must say, Not my favorite. But forgiving to mistakes

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here is a nice Spirea: Love the wild look to it:

Spirea1cc.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
oh and those blunt folks you speak of......you mean like this guy:

Lolol you made me laugh good!

Yeah that's my roundabout blunt!

Let that spirea grow a trunk! No cutty!

There are a couple great nurseries in Florida.

Look for Brazilian Rain trees....
They are dope!

@Lobaeux keeps one there.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It looks of Spirea.

I don't know that it would be worth the time to mess with.

I think @Vin keeps one down there.
And I just got a Japanese one to play with.
It's not Spirea. Well, it's not like any I've seen. The leaves are way too big and there should be a million tiny branches about the size of kite string crisscrossing all over the place. Every one of mine has struggled this year and I may just put them in the ground and see how they do.

As Purchased.jpg

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I can't speak to keeping Junipers alive down here in South Florida. Plenty of people grow them quite well down here, but I've had a tough time.

Like @sorce said, Brazilian Rain Trees are fantastic in this climate. I've got two of them, one in a pot, one in the ground and they just can't stop growing, they're growing for fun (two famous soccer cliches). Also, ficus, any kind of ficus it seems grows very well.

I've got a new Bald Cypress that I think will do quite well too, but right now my favorite are the Brazilian Rain Trees.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's not Spirea. Well, it's not like any I've seen. The leaves are way too big and there should be a million tiny branches about the size of kite string crisscrossing all over the place. Every one of mine has struggled this year and I may just put them in the ground and see how they do.

View attachment 133584

Hmmm I did trim some leaves and branches before that pic but I think you're right my branches are not the same color either. The bark on mine is white and has striations also.

I can't speak to keeping Junipers alive down here in South Florida. Plenty of people grow them quite well down here, but I've had a tough time.

Like @sorce said, Brazilian Rain Trees are fantastic in this climate. I've got two of them, one in a pot, one in the ground and they just can't stop growing, they're growing for fun (two famous soccer cliches). Also, ficus, any kind of ficus it seems grows very well.

I've got a new Bald Cypress that I think will do quite well too, but right now my favorite are the Brazilian Rain Trees.

Yea I've had my eye out for a Ficus, and the Brazilian Rain Tree is now new on my radar, thanks guys!

One issue I am having and can't get rid of is white flies. not on my juniper but on all the rest of the gardens. I use insecticidal soap on the the plants but can't keep them away.

Can I use insecticidal soap on the Juniper as well? I'm assuming yes? I was also wondering if the insecticidal soap would prevent them. How often can you spray?
Lolol you made me laugh good!

Yeah that's my roundabout blunt!

Let that spirea grow a trunk! No cutty!

There are a couple great nurseries in Florida.

Look for Brazilian Rain trees....
They are dope!

@Lobaeux keeps one there.

Sorce

LOL thanks for all the good info and yes those brazilian's are really nice!

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yea I've had my eye out for a Ficus, and the Brazilian Rain Tree is now new on my radar, thanks guys!

Not sure where in S FL you are but if you get a chance to head over to Ft Myer's you should stop by Wigert's. They have a huge selection of trees that happily grow in our wonderful climate :)
Both Ficus and BRT do great. Tamarind, Oak, Bald Cypress, Elm... you have a lot to choose from and they all grow like crazy ;)

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Is StoneCloud native American or just nameo_O? Welcome to much better climate(minus hurricanes:eek:)!

It is not although inspired by. I love the culture and my better half is part Native American.
Centipedes.

Sorceress..."ew". < --------------- :LMFAO!

Sorce

Hmm I have huge centipedes here.

Not sure where in S FL you are but if you get a chance to head over to Ft Myer's you should stop by Wigert's. They have a huge selection of trees that happily grow in our wonderful climate :)
Both Ficus and BRT do great. Tamarind, Oak, Bald Cypress, Elm... you have a lot to choose from and they all grow like crazy ;)

I live on the other side in Davie, near Ft. Lauderdale I have heard of Wigerts and do want to visit. My current go to shop is called the Bonsai Shop in Ft. Laudernale, nice people great prices and they take awesome care of their stock. I like the elms and bald cypress as well. Collection will slowly grow :)

Top Bottom