Advice on appraising these pre-bonsai

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I am moving at the end of the year, and would like to offload some of my pre-bonsai. I would just give them away but I have spent 2-3 years of effort, money and care on some of them, so I would like to make at least that back. I would prefer to have them picked up or I can drop them off in the metro Atlanta area. Could you estimate how much I can reasonably ask for these trees?

1. Chinese privet (Ligustrum sinensis): Dug from a friend's yard on April 2, 2017. 2 seasons of growth in a black tub with porous bonsai mix. It has an excellent 13-inch wide nebari and a completely hollow perfect uro. The highest shoot is located 12 inches or so from the soil. It already has good primary branching and some secondary branching. What it needs soon is for the deadwood to be carved down and for the uro to be preserved so that the dead wood around it does not rot. It is in good health, but whiteflies and aphids need to be treated for in summer. Pictures attached. All photos taken in Oct 2018, but I have pictures from when it was dug up in 2017.

2018-11-04 10.30.45.jpg

2018-11-04 10.31.56.jpg2018-11-04 small2.jpg2018-11-04 small3.jpg2018-11-04 small5.jpg2018-11-04 small6.jpg

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
2. Paper Mulberry ( Broussonetia papyrifera): Haven't measured the nebari on this one, but just below soil level, it is at least 6 inches wide. Handsome striped bark is a feature of this tree. The leaves are large but can be reduced. Scar on one side can be made into uro because the bark has healed nicely around it.
2018-08-11 13.30.38.jpg
2018-08-11 13.31.10.jpg

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
3. Virginia Pine (Pinus virginiana): Beautiful short needles, this is a skinny tree but has interesting deadwood at the base. The crown has to be brought lower by bending and twisting. Has been in the pond basket since 2017 and is in good health. This is a hardy, drought-resistant tree native to the US south.
2018-08-11 13.28.20.jpg

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The privet is nice and could maybe fetch a couple hundred. (this is very subjective and may be controversial). I don't think the mulberry or pine are worth much.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The privet has a lot of potential, to my eye it’s the most valuable of the three. I think you could easily get 200+ if you can find the right buyer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I actually like the pine more than the other two. Just saying... people have different taste... they keyword is finding the right buyer.

Melospiza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
how will you go about selling these?
I'm trying to find buyers near me who'll pick up or let me deliver in metro Atlanta, since I don't have experience shipping plants. If I don't find someone, I'l try to take them with me, or leave with a friend for the time being.

Top Bottom