Advice on how to shape crown

Mdpap1974

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, New to bonsai (obviously). I found this dwarf alberta spruce with a great nebari on sale and decided to work on it.
I am starting to wise up, so I left many more branches than I envision in the final version. Right now I’m planning to shape the lower branches and eventually turn them into deadwood, similar to an ancient spruce.
I welcome advice and critique of any kind, but the reason for this post is that I’m stuck on what to do with the crown. I feel that the tree is too tall, so I was considering taking several inches off the top and curling some remaining branches to form the crown. Another consideration would be to Jin the apex.
I would value your advice.
Thanks and best regards,
Marios3B5DF3DD-DA9D-471A-8E9C-442B0827A8AC.jpeg997C6B58-C8DB-4BD4-81EB-76BBDE3B5DAA.jpeg

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Anybody can make a jin. It is the easiest 'styling thing' to do and there is little need for practice. On the other hand, forming an apex requires some skill (and if it 'never' works out, you can then make some kind of jin like often seen on old trees), so try to do that --> chop off the trunk and bend around one of those long branches to make an apex. If the branch comes straight up from behind, it will be seen as a continuation of the trunk. Alternatively, it can produce the same visual line of trunk if it comes from directly in front and arches over to the back. You'll need to do it and see for yourself, but I think from behind will work out better.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I'm thinking that there is height that seems natural here...
alberta 6.JPG
and it only involves a strategic chop and rotate one twig up ~110° or so...
alberta 7.JPG
But everything depends on that 3rd dimension that can't be seem here.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good job leaving branches. It looks well.

I think Jinning the apex is the easy way out too.
Never looks right, it's a fake finish most of the time.

Nice.

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anybody can make a jin. It is the easiest 'styling thing' to do and there is little need for practice. On the other hand, forming an apex requires some skill (and if it 'never' works out, you can then make some kind of jin like often seen on old trees), so try to do that --> chop off the trunk and bend around one of those long branches to make an apex. If the branch comes straight up from behind, it will be seen as a continuation of the trunk. Alternatively, it can produce the same visual line of trunk if it comes from directly in front and arches over to the back. You'll need to do it and see for yourself, but I think from behind will work out better.

0so, you’ve got it exactly backwards. It’s a front branch that’s usually turned up to make a new apex. That way the chop scar isn’t right in the front.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
0so, you’ve got it exactly backwards. It’s a front branch that’s usually turned up to make a new apex. That way the chop scar isn’t right in the front.
Of course, if it is going to be visible and not obscured by foliage.

Top Bottom