Advice on Pine please

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Heavy feeding in spring is a good start to get pines in prime condition.
Sometimes the soil can be a limiting factor, if it's less than optimal a repot might be wise.

It looks like it did produce bigger needles last year, meaning that it's going in the right direction. If you can count more than one bud on every branch tip, you can be fairly sure that you're on the right track. If not, go with the above.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
As much sun as you can give... at least 6- 8 hours a day. Fast draining soil is very important. Based on the amount of moss growing on the soil surface, I suspect your soil is staying too moist. I'd remove the moss from the soil surface to help it dry between watering... I'd also spray some white vinegar on the moss growing up the trunk, as it will damage the bark there.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well, the lowest hanging fruit (all I am capable of saying) is get it into free draining soil (something like pumice), get it into all-day sun (as close as you can manage), and fertilize heavy for 3 years.

You will have both health and options.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Its been in kept full sun all and been fed monthly with liquid feed during the growing season, but I have to admit its been neglected recently and needs a repot . What time of year do you all advise for Scots pine repotting and how to promote back budding??

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What do you mean by neglected then?

Trees enjoy "benign neglect", and this looks sparse.

There is something it is not getting. In 4 years this should be bushy and full.

??

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Its been in kept full sun all and been fed monthly with liquid feed during the growing season, but I have to admit its been neglected recently and needs a repot . What time of year do you all advise for Scots pine repotting and how to promote back budding??

I repot mine in early spring as the buds begin to swell, usually March for me. They do need to be protected from frost for a bit afterwards.
To get back budding, you feed it heavily and then proper pruning at the right time.
Ryan Neil has a good video on Scots Pines aka single flush pines

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Another good video about scots pines

Tall Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree doesn’t look in that bad a shape to me. Nice color and decent growth... good luck going forward.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree doesn’t look in that bad a shape to me. Nice color and decent growth... good luck going forward.
That is what I was thinking too.

There are no obvious signs of trouble there.

When you fertilize, how much of what does it get?

I think this is where you might find added a handfull of organic dry fertilizer can help.

As said before, full sun exposure. The pot is plenty large and the foliage does not show signs the substrate is an issue. I doubt repotting is goint to help you much.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good starter tree. Possibilities obvious already and much better than stick in pot. Personally also vote for repot end of Winter time. Also suggest fertilizer weekly.

Last edited:

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
What do you mean by neglected then?

Trees enjoy "benign neglect", and this looks sparse.

There is something it is not getting. In 4 years this should be bushy and full.

??
I feel its been neglected by not repotting for 3 years and I allowed moss to smother the pot :- your observation is spot on - its sparse and has not produced bushy healthy growth-It just seems to be ticking over.I think I will follow the advice on here and repot late winter, then later apply solid fertiliser and hope that boosts the growth. Thanks everyone for your advice.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I feel its been neglected by not repotting for 3 years and I allowed moss to smother the pot :- your observation is spot on - its sparse and has not produced bushy healthy growth-It just seems to be ticking over.I think I will follow the advice on here and repot late winter, then later apply solid fertiliser and hope that boosts the growth. Thanks everyone for your advice.

Pines don't need repotting as often as deciduous.

3-5 years is fine unless you're trying to get rid of old nursery soil or something.

If you're worried about the moss, remove it. I would remove it from the trunk at least.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What kind of soil is it in?

How much has it actually grown?

No cuts at all?

For me, those thick black pots are too hot and wet. The shape and moss doesn't help.

Depending on what it looked like at collection, it could be doing fantastic.

What do the buds look like? Better than last year?

Sorce

Top Bottom